1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Strange behavior on Z home

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Romain Sertelon, Feb 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Romain Sertelon

Romain Sertelon New Member

Hi,

I've received my Robo3d today, and I'm getting it all set up.

I've completed the hardware setup, even flipped the z end switch.

I can connect it perfectly to my computer, but there is one problem I cannot solve.

When I ask Repetier to move Z to home, the head goes up a bit and stops. It does not go down as it should. This is really annoying since I can't make the head go down with the software, I have to do it by hand...

I've checked the cables of the Z end switch but didn't see any problem...

Do you have any idea about what is causing this?

Thanks!

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Well I believe the switches are normally closed so an open circuit would cause it to stop. This way if a cable breaks the printer errors to think it's homed and stops movement.

It's possible you have a broken cable. Pull on your end stop wires, if they come off with a pretty generous tug they're too loose and need resoldering. I noticed on mine they didn't solder the wire through the hole in the switch post so it's a pretty weak solder.

If that doesn't fix it and it's still moving in the wrong direction it's possible your z stepper motor plug is in backwards.

3. Romain Sertelon

Thanks for your answer :)

I'll check the cables.

As for the direction of the Z axis, it seems ok as I can make it go up from the software, and it goes up :) Sometimes I've managed to make it go down with the software and it went down too. It really seems to be the z end stop. (I can see logs in Repetier that tell that the printer believes to be at the z end stop BTW).

4. Romain Sertelon

Hi Mike,

It's solved! Must have been a contact that wasn't made properly as you suggested. After getting the cable out and in again, it worked well :)

Thanks !

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.