1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Strange model issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Fraser Simpson, Aug 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fraser Simpson

Fraser Simpson New Member

Hi there,

I'm very new to this whole 3D printing area so please forgive me if my first post is asking a daft question, but I've successfully printed quite a few nice objects and got a good handle on heat of the bed and extruder and speed, slicer software etc etc but this one has got me stumped.

I'm needing to print this model - http://mail.rhea.co.nz/downloads/MclarenF1Empty.stl

I downloaded a Google sketchup version of it, but it had a whole load of details inside the model so I figured it didn't make sense to keep that so removed most of the detail from inside the model.

It all seems to look good on the screen in Mattercontrol but regardless of which slicer I use it prints most of the bottom part not too badly, but when it gets towards the top of the main body it goes a bit mental and doesn't print out properly at all. Also from the wing on the back towards the back of the car doesn't come out properly even below the wing.....

Have I missed something here ?? I assumed that the slicer would create basic support material inside the model and since it looked OK outside it would just workout what was needed there........

Any help is much appreciated.

2. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Your model is not going to print in that .stl. I attempted to repair in Netfabb, which is a very good (and free!) way to check and fix .stl files, but it wasn't working. You would also need some serious supports to print it - both on the shell and the wing area. Time for a different or seriously re-configured model. Most supports in slicers have to be enabled before they are generated. I suggest buying the real vehicle and forgoe printing it. I'm available for test drives, so keep me posted, OK?
    Good luck!
    Dean

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Unless you are a dab hand* with 3D modelling (and you may be) then trying to work backwards from a full detailed model to something simpler is...difficult. You would be better served starting over (or finding a model that better suits).

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

P.S. it is actually easy to get a great looking model (on the screen) that is accurate, but unprintable.

5. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Check your normal. Might need to be reversed. Check youtube on how.

6. Fraser Simpson

Fraser Simpson New Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. Dean, funny you should say about getting the real thing as that is why I'm trying to print this as we are making a car based on the McLaren F1 LM and are trying to print a basic 3D model as a trial before we modelled our vehicle to print.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.