1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Stuck Between Robo 3d and Solidoodle 3

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by agump, Oct 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agump

agump Member

So im new to this forum and im looking to buy my first 3d printer. Im a sophomore studying engineering so tinkering around is something i love to do. i cant decide between the robo3d and the solidoodle 3. I really like the large build area of the Robo but the only thing that holds me back is the long lead time on getting my printer and 1.2 coming out soon. I would like to have the printer by christmas break so I have something to do. How tough is it to change to the E3d hot end? thats another thing thats holding me back. Help me decide please guys.

Thank you,
    Andrew

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Hey Andrew, I've heard good things about the Solidoodle 3. It seems like it does really good prints and could make for an excellent printer

I decided to get the robo3d because it had the large build volume, was pretty affordable, open source, abs and pla, modability, and I just kinda like the design. The solidoodle seems sturdy enough but just kinda lacks character in my opinion. It has a few positives for their design, such as making an enclosure, though I'm personally not a fan of cantilevered gantry style printers. I feel like that would be problematic and result in an uneven build platform more often.

I don't think you can go wrong either way.

3. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

switching to the E3D is about 15-30 minutes depending how easy the two screws holding it place come out I had to assemble my E3D but I do not include that time the rest of the time is just make ing sure you reroute the wiring I also replaced the kapton tape the use on the E3D to hold the thermister in place with a high temp silcone gasket maker and it took an hour to dry and 24 to cure just could not get kepton to stay stuck so opted for the silicone it is a very good upgrade for the ROBO

4. agump

agump Member

thank you tesseract that sounds like i will be getting the Robo then and installing the E3d after i get everything calibrated and running properly. how tough is the rewiring of the E3d? (wiring is one of the only things i dont have much experience with but i can solder decently)

3 people like this.
  5. Barnacules

Barnacules New Member

I ordered the E3D but it does not fit my Robo3D because the cooling fan holder interferes with the cooling fins on it. I had to remove it, do you know of a different fan shroud/holder I can install that won't interfere that I can print on my other 3D printer? I really would love to try this E3D head out, looks like they must have changed something on the version I have.

6. David Mortlock

David Mortlock Active Member

7. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

8. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

looks like David and Seshan have this one covered

9. Barnacules

Barnacules New Member

I went with David's and it worked like a charm and still keeps the fan closer to the print head which I like. I am going to print a different shroud for my E3D print head though to get more cooling closer to the tip eventually. But as it stands right now the E3D is an amazing print head and delivers just as expected!

10. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

I thought about a e3D shroud that also had a mount for a parts cooling fan, wouldn't be that hard to do for anyone with cad skill :p

11. Barnacules

Barnacules New Member

There are already a few designs like that on Thingiverse.com, might have to try a few of them out. Just need to find a spare 40mm cooling fan laying around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.