1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Super Clogged hot end - HELP

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Rick Collins, Nov 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Collins

Rick Collins Member

Hey all, I couldn't figure out why my prints weren't working until i noticed the spool wasn't moving.

After taking a look i found that the PLA was jammed in the hot ends "tube" real well.

I cant see any way to get the damn stuff out and was wondering if anyone here had any idea?

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Holy crap how did that even happen. I think you'll need to disassemble your hot end to clear that plug but a second opinion might be good.

3. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

that's a plug. Maybe as a first shot, try heating it up to the max (230 for this machine), push up into the hot end with some small diameter wire or a tiny drill to clear the clog. Then wait a few minute to let it heat soak and try pushing the plug through the extruder in the normal direction with something that you can use some force on (an allen wrench that is just under 1.75 is my usual tool.)
    On my metal extruders, when I get a plug like this (usually due to me trying some stupid experiment) I pull it off, hit it with a torch, and wipe out the ash.
    You've got PTFE in the tip though, so you don't want to do the torch thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.