1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Tangle

Discussion in 'Projects' started by tesseract, Apr 25, 2013.

1. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

This is simply a segment of a toy chain it looks sort of like a piece of elbow macaroni in that it has a 90 degree curve in it a post and ball on one end and a shaft and socket on the other. It is meant to snap together and when together the two parts will be able to spin around. Snap several of them together to make a chain (15-20 or so) and you have what they call a tangle. I got one of these a few years back and it is something that is kinda fun to play with. It is not really meant to come apart so putting together should be kind of tough. Here are three stl files each with a different size ball. This is my second attempt the first after printing by one of our members told me the ball had to be cut down so instead of having to do that I redesign it with these three iterations.
    Tangle.STL - is the original the ball was 3.8mm in diameter
    Tangle3.STL - diameter 3.3mm
    Tangle2.STL - diameter 3.2mm
    Tangle3.STL - diameter 3.1mm

Hopefully one of these will work
    if you print one please let me know it is my first design from scratch and I want to know if you had any difficulties

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  2. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I can vouch for this being cool. I printed up 2 of the initial version. I cut the 2 sides of the ball off so it was a cylinder and it fit and worked great.
    I gave it to my daughter and she loved it. Now to find time to print her up a bunch of them to make a whole loop...

2 people like this.
  3. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Printed if you wanted to print this again I would try tangle1.stl the shaft is 3.0mm and the ball is 3.1mm that should work.