1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Temp Fall Error =(

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Taylor, Feb 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taylor

Taylor Member

So I have had the dreaded temp fall error,But what gets me is that once I restarted the printer everything was fine? The print was about 45 minutes into the print at 210 degrees so I don't think it would of been a loose thermistor right? I restarted the print and so far im 17 minutes in and no problems,Ive been watching the XXL LCD I added and the temperature is staying pretty constant only going up or down 1 degree. Could this of been a glitch in the GCODE? The only thing I could think that might of caused it,I do have a pretty powerful fan blowing across the room onto my print,I wonder if that could of cooled it down to much? But ive been running that fan basically on every print.

Is this a sign of the thermistor going bad?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Not a gcode issue.

More likely a faulty thermistor or (even more likely) a loose connection to the thermistor in the wire hardness. There are normally two solder connections (on each wire) going from the RAMPS to the thermistor. That is a place for a failure. It would be movement sensitive... so sometimes it might fail quick and other times slow. It will eventually completely fail.

3. Taylor

Taylor Member

So where exactly will these connections be? Is it the connections coming out of the hot end?

Can you also pint me to a good place to buy the thermistor so I can have extra on hand just in case.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I'd suggest this one:

http://www.printedsolid.com/shop/e3d/stud-thermistor/

The connections are in the wire loom that runs from the RAMPS board (under the printer) to the hotend. There are a lot of other wires in there :) but you cna track them back from the thermistor on the hotend itself.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

In other words... the wires from the thermistor to the RAMPS board are generally not a single run of wire.
    There is a set of wires soldered to the thermistor itself (near the hotend) and usually another connection up in the wire loom.

6. Taylor

Taylor Member

Gotcha, thanks a lot for the help. So far it's been running fine with no problem. (Knock on wood) I'm hoping since it was cold in the room this morning and the large blowing fan I had blowing on it cause the temp to drop to fast. I think if it happens again I'm just going to get the E3D,it will give me an excuse put it in :)

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I'd still suggest the metal stud thermistor from PrintedSolid as part of that upgrade.
    It is far less touchy.

Good luck.

8. Taylor

Taylor Member

O of course,especially since it's the same type of thermistor that the hexagon uses now I don't have to change the values for that.

Do I have to change the firmware if I don't plan on printing above 285?

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The firmware limit is less than that:

#define HEATER_0_MAXTEMP 240 //robo

So if you plan to go above 240 you'll need to edit that.

10. Taylor

Taylor Member

Ahh gotcha,yea I have no plans to. I'm just happy printing at 210 :)

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sure, until you get around to experimenting with some of the cool stuff :)

Give it time.

12. Taylor

Taylor Member

O im sure once the newness wears off ill be cracking this thing open and exploring everything lol

13. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

or any of the other threaded thermistors available from... the internet...
    though at least he isn't asking a mint for it... not like some with their radio Shack 20 cent bin parts asking $20 because its for "3d printing".

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I will always support the folks that support us first. It isn't worth saving a little bit to buy it from elsewhere in most cases. (non-US folks would be better served finding someone local of course)

But, yes, you can buy thermistors elsewhere.
    His as the advantage of being the same type as stock (which saves a firmware mod just for that).

15. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

You mean a 100k thermistor? Yea.. I wasn't aware of those stud type.. now I'm jealous. Ordering one from somewhere.
    Though I do not always follow your style of shopping and rarely for parts resellers. I do not shop at places that are evil, other than that.. It depends. I like the local hardware store rather than the big box home store.. for instance..

16. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

THat part is free shipping at printedsolid... don't know if that is the correct plug for it... I ordered 2!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.