1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Temp fell too much error leading to hotend help

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by MinnesotaFats, Dec 30, 2021.

1. MinnesotaFats

MinnesotaFats New Member

Let's see if I can give you all the information. I have a Robo 3d R1 from right after the Kickstarter ended. It has an E3D V5 hotend. It had been sitting for about 4 years since I didn't have a permanent location to place it. I recently moved and now have it out and have been making some changes, new fans, T8.8 Acme lead screws, moving to Cura, herringbone gear, etc. While making those changes I ran into the dreaded "temp fell too much" error. After digging into it I ended up figuring out the thermistor is shot and the heater cartridge could stand to be replaced.

Now, I am not super savvy with this stuff and am just not certain what to get. Could you make some recommendations on replacements. Since I am in the process of making this a little bit better, are there better heater cartridges I could look into? The thermistor I have is very small and looks quite fragile, is there a better one available? Thank you for any help you can provide.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Heater cartridges are a standard size and come in several wattages.
    The v5 E3D uses a glass bead thermistor and yes it is a small (fragile) glass ball.

You can find them in many places. The thermistor type needs to be 100kohm.

Examples (not suggestions):

Heater core:
    https://www.amazon.com/6-35mm-Ceramic-Cartridge-Printer-Extruder/dp/B071K8Z9KF

Thermistor:
    https://www.amazon.com/Gikfun-Semitic-104GT-2-Thermistor-Printer/dp/B00UFBIRVI
    Read the comment on this thermistor there on the Amazon page -- it does not have the shielding so you have to use Kapton tape (which you can also find on Amazon) to wrap the wires and prevent them shorting. Or use a non-E3D thermistor type:

https://www.amazon.com/Quluxe-Thermistor-Temperature-100K3950-Thermistors/dp/B08DFM3DGC

already shielded.

If you end up using a non-E3D thermistor you will want to make sure you have the correct type defined in the firmware (configuration.h) because the E3D is ATC Semitec 104GT-2 thermistor (type 5 in marlin) -- the one I listed above as NON-E3D is a Marlin type 11

3. MinnesotaFats

MinnesotaFats New Member

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Totally fine. You will end up with a 1/2 v5 and 1/2 v6 E3D :) Should still work fine.
    I haven't checked but the v6 heater block and parts should fit on an E3D v5 heat break.
    I still use the v5 on one of my beta machines.

5. MinnesotaFats

MinnesotaFats New Member

Fantastic! I think I'm going to head that direction. Again, thanks for the replies.