1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Temp shows over 600

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Drakeh, Jul 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drakeh

Drakeh New Member

So my E3D V6 hotend recently broke so I had to order a new one. They started using a new thermistor cartridge so I hooked everything up to my printer but the temp now shows it at around 687 degrees. I'm using Simplify3D on windows 10 currently. I'm not sure if this is a matter of me soldering the wires backwards or what but I'm not sure what I need to do to correct this issue. Any help you can provide would be awesome!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That is a bad thermistor or (more likely) bad wiring to it.
    If you have a multimeter, with the power off and USB unplugged, read resistance from the RAMPS back to the thermistor on the wiring for the thermistor (with it unplugged from the RAMPS of course). See what you get. Should be really close to 100kohms.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The thermistor is not polarity sensitive so you can't get the wires backwards, but you can have a bad solder joint or shorted wires. The little plastic sleeves that must go on the thermistor leads are there to prevent them shorting together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.