1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Temperature for E3D is 350 degrees... without hot-end being on...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Dark09, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark09

Dark09 New Member

I've been working on installing this ED3 hot end on my robo the last few days, and a few moments ago I tried testing my wiring. The hot end fan is powering on like it should, so the wiring for the fan to the power supply is correct. I started up Repetier Host and once connected I received an error saying the tempeture threshold of 350 degrees was hit, when the hot end wasn't even on... Would this be an indication that the wiring for the thermistor is somehow shorting/touching the other wire or I need another thermistor?

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Your thermistor is shorted

3. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

Yeah, that would mean it's shorted.

*edit*
    Damn Mike beat me to it by "A moment ago" :p

2 people like this.
  4. Dark09

Dark09 New Member

LOL, yeah it was shorted... unfortunately my tinkering with it thin thermistor wires broke it... Would it be possible to re-use the older thermistor? I noticed the older one has a thin layer jacket around the copper, would this possible cause problems considering the heat from the hot-end?

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

yes the old thermistor will work fine, just don't do what i did and break that as well. No that's high temp insulation and works well.

6. Ahmed Jaber

Ahmed Jaber New Member

I stuck some heat-shrink tubing on the thermistor legs to keep them from bumping up against each other. Now I just need to get the thing to stick to the heater block. It keeps coming loose and vaporizing my filament.

7. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

Ahmed, how are you attaching it to the heater block? The standard is to use Kapton tape but others have used a high temp sealant.

If you use Kapton, use the 1/2 inch tape and use multiple small sections instead of one long one.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.