1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

The Kraken

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Melody Bliss, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Would need a new ramps board and firmware that supports more than 2 extruders. I've been keeping my eyes and ears on that in hopes of some more support.

We'd need to design a new mounting bracket and supports for water cooling but it should actual reduce carriage weight over the stock gregs wade extruder setup

3. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

We may not need a new board. It looks like the current ramps passes through the controller's pins. Dependent on how it currently manages pins an additional daughter board may be created to add in extruders 2 & 3 (since 0 and 1 are on the ramps board). The Arduino Mega 2560 has alot of pins.

Looking at the schematic for RAMPS 1.4 I see these pins not used:

D4-D6, D8-D12, D16, D17, D23, D25, D27, D29, D31-D33, D35, D37, D39-D45, D47, D49, D53

That said instead of adding complexity by having a ton of wire go from one board to another they may want to use I2C and build a new communication channel to a daughter board and isolate everything you need for the new extruders and hotend to the daughter board.

4. Mattchu

Mattchu Member

I told the robo guys about it Monday. They had heard, but not seen it or looked it over til I mentioned it. I really want them to do something with it, the price is very right. As it is I'm making space at work to start milling out a new carriage to hold two of the E3D hot ends if no solution is currently available for the Kraken.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.