1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Thermistor heads up

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by 1d1, Jan 20, 2014.

1. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

I have been having a difficult time with the ROBO since receiving it. It arrived broken (heated bed), took a couple of weeks to get replaced. This, that and several other things have gone this way and that way and I have waited, and waited, for parts. When it is all working well, it is great, but We struggle, ROBO and I. The latest: I bought some NTC 100 thermistors through Amazon that were supposedly perfect for Prusa Mendel machines and, indeed, the specs seemed perfect. The thermistors weren't. I have been going crazy trying to figure out why I've been printing lace instead of well-developed and laminated pieces. It turns out these units are 20% off (at least) and the temps reported have little to do with the temps maintained. Because of clogs along the way, I trashed an e3d heat sink by breaking off a drill bit inside it. I have wasted tons of time, frustration, filament and money because these things worked well enough to yield an adequate first layer so it didn't occur to me that they were a problem.
    Buy from trusted vendors whenever you can and get proven components over the unknown. It will be far easier to keep on printing. If I didn't love it so much from the positive results I have all too occasionally experienced, I might have given up by now. Thanks to Tesseract, Printed Solid, Sanjay and others who have patiently helped along the way. I'll be back... no doubt.