1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

They are producing filament

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Michael DiFilippo, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Michael DiFilippo

Michael DiFilippo Active Member

2. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

I wouldn't say they are "producing" filament, more like they are getting there name put on rolls of filament.

4 people like this.
  3. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

From the looks of the spool, and knowing that this seller will supply large amounts of filament, it looks like its from repraper.com It's price is cheap, but it's also not the best quality filament, some people have had problems with having lumps in the filament jamming their printers, and other problems. They will just have to watch their pricing, if they price it high where premium filament is, and people buy it and have problems it will hurt their reputation.

4. Michael DiFilippo

Sorry Seshan is right I meant they will be selling*. Hopefully they will not sell subpar filament, it just would hurt them in the long wrong. Better to sell a really good solid printer and have your users go else where for filament then sell a really god solid printer and crappy filament.

5. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

6. Michael DiFilippo

Hmm... do I spend the 200$... thanks Printed Solid for the link and for making me now think about spending more money haha
    Could that do pla as well i wonder?

7. Printed Solid

Staff Member

There are a few of these out there now. I think this might be the second on kickstarter. My guess is that once these start getting into people's hands, filament prices will plummet.
    Once I get mine together, I'll be glad to run short samples for people to try.

Now, does anyone have any good contacts at a color compounder?

8. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

9. Printed Solid

Staff Member

@Seshan: Did you check the OS Printing site that they link to on their site? Maybe they can ship it to Canada? It probably doesn't matter anyways. I think that the availability of machines/kits/open source plans for home extruders will really force down the price of commercially available filament or it will drive up the quality of commercial filament. I'm happy either way.

I swear I actually do sleep, just happen to be up checking something.

10. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

I came across that site before while looking for pellets, and now it seems like they will be making the filastuder, Awesome! I checked their ebay store before and it said they didn't ship to Canada, but now checking their other store they do ship to Canada, buying 5k worth of PLA will save me about $40 when buying filament from repraper.com Not sure if it's really worth it at that point.

11. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

We are working with a filament supplier called octave solutions. We are not producing it ourselves. We will have different colors of PLA & ABS on the website so stay tuned for that. Thanks

2 people like this.
  12. Michael DiFilippo

Thanks for the info guys.

13. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

That good to hear you guys are using octave, I have heard good things about them.

2 people like this.