1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved This printer is nothing but problems

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Robots in Disguise, May 15, 2015.

1. Robots in Disguise

[​IMG]

Im getting a perfect edge on the x positive and x negative sides of the cube .

The y positive has single peaks every 5 layers and the y negative side has single valleys every 5 layers . They rise and fall positive and negative in a wave pattern .

2. Robots in Disguise

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That is almost certainly something loose/slipping on that one drive axis. you can see how the layer is sliding over (indents in on one side and protrudes the same amount on the opposite side). Those are pretty classic symptoms for that type of issue (although sometimes people have them on the X and Y at the same time). Yours is limited to the Y. You can check the gears for loose set screws and the belt for tension (set screws are more common issues than belt tension).

Robots in Disguise likes this.
  4. Droid

Droid Member

im assuming you have the one with the 8mm threaded rods as well, though this may be going off on a tangent, what are the steps/mm for your z axis?

5. Robots in Disguise

I will check as soon as I get home tonight . Off the top of my head I want to say 30mm but ive been tweaking over a hundred set values back and forth for the past couple of days , my guess is most likely a random number .

6. Robots in Disguise

Its an r1 printer .

7. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

R1 could be 5/16th rods or 8mm rods

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Measure the number of threads per inch on your threaded rods.
    Then you will know which flavor of R1 you have.

9. Jerry RoBo 3D

Jerry RoBo 3D Administrator
    Staff Member

R1's havent been made with 5/16 rods for almost a year now. I think this could be a Y stepper driver problem. Please email jerry@robo3d.com and I can help you directly. I was traveling over the weekend to Maker Faire. I'm sorry I am only now catching up on this.

10. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

Pretty sure there have been some new R1's floating around with the 5/16th rods. Not sure how it happened but it did to a few people on here.

11. Droid

Droid Member

Mine purchased a little over a month ago has the 8mm rods, but was programmed with the 5/16th rods steps/mm, and I purchased this direct from your office in San Diego.

#31 Droid, May 18, 2015
    Last edited: May 18, 2015
  12. Robots in Disguise

The set screw was not even close to being on tight . I fixed that issue with the side to side jogging motion per layer . Thank you mark bigler and droid . Your steps solved my issues .

The arduino board download driver from cura actually fixed matter control . Surprising I know . Im guessing the driver for cura is better then matters .

mark tomlinson likes this.
  13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Cool, use loctite on those set screws and you never need to worry about them getting loose on you again.