1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Tips for cleaning up a model

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by k1e1v1i1n, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

Hey everyone last night I made a model I was extremely happy with but I used support material and now on the models face and neck you can see where it was attached to the support. I am looking for a way to clean this up a little. It is PLA here are some pics.

you can see the parts I am talking about in the 3rd and 4th pics . almost looks like Groot is crying. and there is a little more under his chin.

Attached Files:

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I use a set of small precision files: http://www.harborfreight.com/12-piece-precision-needle-file-set-4614.html helps get into all the little nooks and cranny's.

Generally though it leaves the part matte and you need to polish it up again. I hear Acetone works somewhat on PLA, and MEK substitute is a good alternative. I personally use weldon4. Gives the part a nice shine and since it's a glue it increases the layer bond stength significantly: http://www.amazon.com/Weld-On-Acryl...UTF8&qid=1420564057&sr=8-1&keywords=weld-on+4

2 people like this.
  3. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

Do you have any video of you cleaning up a part? I am ordering a file set but I wouldn't want to try any solvents without seeing it being done.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

For Weldon I just use an acid shop brush (aka horsehair brush) to paint it on.

For acetone and MEK sub you'd either do a vapor polish, or a cold vapor polish. Lots of videos on this out there.

5. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

Thanks I will take a look.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.