1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Tips to solve z-offset issue after install of Robo OS version 2.0.0-c2.6

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by ThereAwhileAgo, Dec 11, 2019.

1. ThereAwhileAgo

ThereAwhileAgo New Member

Background of my issue:
    I had a working version of Robo OS 1.8.1-v2.0 (or above since I do not remember if I had done updates). I had not used my Robo printer in over a year and I knew that it will try to update the moment I restarted it, so I made an image of the SDcard (with the older OS) before updating, in case I ran into a problem.
    Started my Robo, updated it, but was not able to set the Z-offset properly.

Looking around for help, I blamed the IR sensor so I ordered a new one, installed it, and still could not set the Z-offset properly; it gave me a positive (+) offset; I read in the forum that it should be negative (-) so I changed the value to negative in the EEPROM, otherwise the fine tune wizard will not run; I then run the fine tune offset wizard but could not complete the tuning because the printing bead was far away from the nozzle (like 20mm)

Burned an SDcard with the previous image I had just backed up but I had the same problem not being able to set the Z-offset.

Tweaked the Z-offset and Probe offset values in the EEPROM until the bead was close enough to the nozzle to be able to do a fine tuning; ran a test print and the print bed crashed into the nozzle poking a crater on the print bead.

Finally found my original image (for OS 1.8.1-c2.0) that I had received from Robo a while back (years), and my Robo printer started working again

How it got solved to be able to use the latest Robo OS 2.0.0-c2.0 :

I contacted Robo support and they gave me a new image of the new Robo OS but with a new printer-name/serial-number; I was able to set the Z-offset and do fine offset tuning, ran a partial test print and it printed well.

Why I think it got solved this way:

I believe that at some point in time, the Robo printers started being shipped with some parameters that were different than the parameters in earlier Robo printers; the Robo OS updates then worked well for the newer printers (with the newer parameters) but the updates did not work well on earlier printers (with older parameters).
    I believe that is the reason why I was given a new image with a new printer-name/serial-number.

Another tip about switching SDcards with different OS versions:

I was not able to get my Robo printer working after burning an SDcard with an older OS image that I had created from an SDcard (with that older OS) but I was successful when I burned the SDcard with the older OS image file provided by Robo support; I conclude that the image files provided by Robo support have extra code to set the Robo printer properly when used the first time, but this "extra code" is missing in an image from an existing SDcard

#1 ThereAwhileAgo, Dec 11, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  2. ThereAwhileAgo

This post was intended for Robo C2 troubleshooting, not R1. Could you please move it to the proper location? Txs

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Why take or make an image of the one Robo support sent you and we can archive that off for others in case they need it.
    PM me if you need help

5. ThereAwhileAgo

As I understand, Robo tries to mantain some control on what parameters go with each printer-name/serial-number; that is the reason why they don't have a link for a generic image.
    The images Robo provides are specific for a unique printer-name/serial-number.
    I prefer not to damage my support options with Robo by posting the image with my printer-name/serial-number here.
    Robo has supported me well

#5 ThereAwhileAgo, Dec 12, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The name of the machine is the only specific bit and we would change that.

I'll just ping Braydon and have them get me a newer one.

7. RoboticsRob

RoboticsRob Member

Hey Mark, any word on this if you were able to get a latest-and-greatest...hopefully image for reviving C2's?

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

9. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member