1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Too Many Problems

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Carmen, May 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carmen

Carmen New Member

Where do I start. I have done 10 or 11 prints with only 3 prints good. The Y axis runs out of travel before it hits the limit switch. It's almost impossible to remove the prints from the build platform. I have used blue painter's tape, glue stick, hair spray, or nothing at all. Tried colorfabb standard filament. I think this is PLA but Printed Solids does not specify what the actual filament is on the reel.

2. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Remove your bed and inspect the limit switch. Mine was sitting there but the screws were loose in their holes and you could lift it out of place easily. I glued it into place.

While you are there, tighten your bolts and y axis gear set screws. Mine were loose and caused all kinds of issue. Once tightened it prints great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 people like this.
  3. Carmen

Carmen New Member

Peter- Thanks for the reply. I have to be out of town for about a week but will follow your suggestions when I get back.

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Pete's giving some good pointers may solve your issues

5. Carmen

Carmen New Member

I did manage to fix the y axis problem. Then I tried a new print and the extruder is not working. What next? Has anyone has a problem with their extruder?

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Can you please provide more specific details? Not working can mean any number of scenario, especially as the extruder is the geared part that feeds into the hot end nozzle. It's not clear which isn't working and in what way.

7. Carmen

Carmen New Member

I can turn the large gear to extrude filament. When I try to use the Extrude button in MatterContro the extruder motor does not turn on. I'm not sure what else to look for.

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Your nozzle is set above 170? Do you get an error?

Can you try putting the extruder to a different stepper (like the x) and tell it to move the x, see if the extruder gear moves?

9. Carmen

Carmen New Member

The nozzle was set to 212C. I did not get an error message. I do not know how to put the extruder to a different stepper, but I could try.
    Now I also know what the next problem is. The fan on the Arduino board keeps falling off.

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

11. Carmen

Carmen New Member

Mike, Thanks for the links, but these things are way above my head. I am an old machinist and cnc guy. What I know about electronics you can fit inside of a resistor. A small one at that. But in all honesty these things should be taken care of and solved by Robo. I'll take a look and I just might be able to figure it out. In any case I very much appreciate your help. I appreciate all the help I have received from a bunch of folks out there.

12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I give the advice needed to solve it, not knowing the users level of skill I can't guarantee. 3D printers are still a very technical hobby so I assume most people have a decent electronics understanding. At least enough to swap a couple connectors.

If you're not up to troubleshooting, then you can contact team robo 3d using their technical support request and he can walk you through the process. http://www.robo3dprinter.com/pages/technical-support

Chances are good something came loose in shipment. There's not much they can do about that.

13. Carmen

Carmen New Member

Mike,
    I found a loose connector that I probably knocked loose while trying to put the fan back in place that had fallen off. I've sent a note to Jerry to make sure that I plug it back in to the correct pins. This will probably be a quick fix.

14. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Hi Carmen, we went through some of this in emails, but to clarify the material: Right now colorFabb manufactures a custom PLA blend. It is PLA mixed with another biopolymer PHA. The label doesn't state PLA/PHA specifically because this is the only material that they make in colors. The box is labeled as colorFabb, the spool is labeled as colorFabb. The 'standard' that you are referencing is the name of the color. Standard Black and Standard White.

I'd highly recommend that while you are learning the machine, that you (or any other new users) stick with plain good quality (not premium, not bargain) PLA. A good percentage of what you make early on will end up being scrap anyways and it is less painful with inexpensive material. Once you learn the machine, you can move onto all of the more advanced materials. The Robo PLA is a great for getting started on. As a machinist, you can think of it as learning to use the machine on wax or foam rather than high end aerospace aluminum.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.