1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Trouble feeding new filament after running out during a print

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jonathan Rupp, May 31, 2015.

1. Jonathan Rupp

Jonathan Rupp New Member

I let a print run un-attended, but it turns out I overestimated how much filament I had left on the spool and it ran out about 90% of the way through. From what I can see, it doesn't appear to have realized it ran out and just kept running (with no filament running through)

Now I'm not able to feed in more filament (PLA). I normally have issues getting it started, but I've tried like 30 times :( Could I have jammed up the head or something by "running it dry"?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There is no filament sensor on the Robo3D by default, so it will not know that it has filament or not. You can add @Ziggy filament sensor (see his thread on that).

Remove the screws* on the gregs wade and open the hinge down into the hotend. Feed the flament in and reclose and screw the hinge back. Then do some test extrusions of 10mm or so (with the extruder hot) until it starts extruding again.

If that fails then you have a clogged nozzle.

* the spring loaded ones, be careful not to let them get away from you.

3. Jonathan Rupp

Jonathan Rupp New Member

Bingo. Made sense that there'd be some filament left in there, as motor won't be able to push the last bit out, I just didn't realize how to get it out.

For reference of others finding this, here's a (bad) picture from the back of the machine after pulling off the spring-loaded screws, showing the (orange) filament that was left in there. Pulled it with a pliers (had to use a bit of force even with the extruder hot), fed in new filament (which is *really* easy with the back off like that), popped things back together and have a new print going already.

Thanks for the help @mark tomlinson.

Attached Files:

mark tomlinson likes this.