1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Trouble with Z axis not moving

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Robert Choban, Feb 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert Choban

Robert Choban Active Member

I just replaced my ramps card. All the wires seem to be connected where they should be.
    I'm using MatterContol 1.2, The x and y axis work like they should
    The extruded motor moves the way it should

The problem is with the Z axis, when I try to move it up or down, the motors start to spin, making a noise, but then stop right away, no up or down movement.

End stops all show min: opened

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Robert Choban

Any Ideas, I'm including pictures. Could reverse connection be causing a problem with the Z axis.

Attached Files:

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is possible. Did you swap the stepper drivers as well or just get a RAMPS that had all new ones?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I ask because you may need to tweak the stepper driver for the motors if you replaced those as well.

5. Robert Choban

I am using new stepper motors. The ramps card that I currently have in the robo is a replacement from Robo. It include a new ramps card with all new stepper drivers and ardunio card. How do I tweak the stepper driver for the motors.

6. Robert Choban

I have the old ramps card with the old stepper drivers, I could try to swap the old stepper driver with the new. Good idea Mark. this is why I need this forum.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

8. Robert Choban

Mark I replace the stepper motor drive on the Ramps card with one from an old card that used to work. Same problem.
    I'm really stumped on this one.
    I took a video with my IPHONE but I can't figure our how to upload it. When I go to "Upload a file" I see the file but there is no name associated with it and I can't add one. Is there a problem when up loading a video from and IPHONE, I can upload pictures, but no video.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

So with the new RAMPS you have the same symptoms? Or did the old stepper driver bring the problem back?

10. Robert Choban

Mark, with the new Ramps card that robo sent me, the Z axis doesn't work and even after swapping out the Z axis driver chip with one that worked on another card, the Z axis still does not work. The motors try to turn the threaded rods, but there is no movement up or down of the extruder chassi. I can see the threaded rod try to turn but then it like something is stopping them from turning. As they try to turn there is a grinding sound and then they stop trying to turn. This happened in either direction. The threaded rod and the smooth rod look good and straight. Also the Y and X axis and the extruder motor work, just the Z axis I can't get working.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Do the threaded rods and drive turn/move by hand with the power off? In other words, is there a mechanical bind going on there?

The only other suggestion would be to swap the Z axis motor to the X or Y axis (on the RAMPS, not physically) and see if it runs there. That will prove whether it is the motor (or drive components) that is failing or the RAMPS. Just plug the Z motor into the X or Y on the RAMPS and then re-test. See if it responds.

12. Robert Choban

Mark,
    The rods and motor drive turn when I move them buy hand, so I don't think there is a mechanical bind. But the motor tries to turns the rods for a brief second, then there is a grinding sound, then everything stops. So its sound like something is binding but I can't see where.

I have swap out the Z driver chip with one that was working on another ramps card.

If I try you above suggestion, there are two motors for the Z - axis, do I unplug both and re-plug them into the Y axis location on the ramps card.

Also any ideas on why I can't upload a video from my IPHONE

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No clue on the video. I have never done that.

Yes, just one-at-a-time plug the motors into a different axis output and try to move it.

All you are really trying to do is see if the problem is isolated to the motor or the electronics. Granted the grinding sounds points to a motor binding internally, but prove it by moving the problem with the motor. Because, sometimes the motor drivers using too low a current can have similar symptoms (although normally without the noise).

If you move the motor electrically to the other axis and it still stalls then it is a mechanical issue with the stepper (time to get a new one). If it works on the other connection then it is something with the electronics on that axis (RAMPS itself or the stepper driver).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.