1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Troubles with printer stopping when printing ABS

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Josheh, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Josheh

Josheh New Member

Hey,

So this is probably covered somewhere else, but I hadn't had the time to really dig through google to find a solution. My hope is that someone here might know off hand what I can do about this issue.

I have been printing in PLA without issue. I tried my hand at doing some ABS prints, but when I switch to ABS it seems like it always causes things to fail.

I have the Robo 3d R+ with the mattercontrol touch pad.

So, what happens is, it looks like everything is going fine, and it'll start the print. Before it's even a few layers in though the print head will stop moving. The progress bar on the touch pad shows it as progressing, but the print head itself doesn't move. I have troubles getting the printer to respond after that. Sometimes it will, and when I hit cancel it'll move the head out of the way like it would normally do. Other times I just seem to need to shut everything off and let it sit for a few moments before trying again.

The only variable that has changed is switching from the PLA to ABS settings in the software. I did manage to get one print out on ABS, but otherwise it's been fail city with an extra side of not-happening.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Try another program and a new USB cable.
    Sounds like either MatterControl is failing (not unusual) or bad USB communicatrions

3. Josheh

Josheh New Member

I tried both of those things. I think it may be an issue hardware side? I'm not sure. I can give it another go when I get home. I thought at first it might have been a issue with it overheating, so I moved it to a much cooler spot, but it still did that. Hmm

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Hardware the only thing to check is that the fan under the machine that cools the RAMPS board is running.

5. janot928

janot928 Active Member

try printing from your coöputer and check the Gcode console (you can do it from mater control)

Try to look for a

"temperature fell to mutch during the print" kinda error.

6. Josheh

Josheh New Member

I'll check it out this evening. I had that problem happen again with a PLA print, but letting it cool off a little seemed to do the trick. Is there an issue with the boards overheating and causing problems?

When it freezes like that, it seems like it's still connected. The temperature on the extruder drops, as it seems it's not bothering to heat it up any more.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

What temperature are you printing at?
    Perhaps you are tripping the MAX Temp setting in the firmware.
    Did you check the communications log for any errors?