1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Trying to calibrate printer and print correctly

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by iandroo888, Apr 19, 2020.

1. iandroo888

iandroo888 New Member

My cousin had given me the Robo 3D R1 (unsure if its + or not) a few years ago and i've been trying to figure it out here and there. Bed is an acrylic bed 10" W x 15" L. Pretty sure not a heated bed. printable area maybe 8" x 13" ?

Been snooping around the forums and noticed there are supposed to be 2 switches (one on each Z rod) whereas mine only has one (right side if you look at the robo3d label).

I have no idea which "edition" this printer is, im assuming its probably one of the earlier editions...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

maybe showing this someone can figure out?

ive been trying to use the software calibrator with the paper thing but not sure if it actually helps.

im printing with a 1.75mm 1kg spool of PLA filament

Tried multiple prints and getting varied results. some look ok, one side thinner than another. some unsticks from the bed and moves with the head. tried spraying some hairspray on the blue painters tape without any success... many had said painters tape worked great with PLA...

im sorry for such a noob post...

#1 iandroo888, Apr 19, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Welcome. You are the proud owner of a 2013 Robo3D Beta. Their first printer sold via Kickstarter.

It can be incrementally upgraded to be the equivalent of an R1+, and not even cost that much to do :)

iandroo888 likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Now some things to know...
    That version of the printer did not include autoleveling.
    You had to manually level the print bed.

Painters tape or hairspray will work fine once you get it leveled and the nozzle offset from the bed set correctly.
    You have to do all of this manually, there is no way to did in the software unless you update the printer to have autoleveling.

I'd suggest we help you get it doing basic printing and then you print the parts you can for the autoleveling upgrade and buy the switches (they are cheap) and we can show you how to update the firmware to include autoleveling

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Let me see a picture of the bed without the tape on it...

5. iandroo888

iandroo888 New Member

ok thats definitely a start ! what upgrades can I do and where do i get it (if its like proprietary parts...)

i think my biggest issue is to get it level. im trying to hard to figure out how to level this printer. id LOVE to get this printer printing correctly at least to get out some mods/improvements for it

[​IMG]

#5 iandroo888, Apr 19, 2020
  6. iandroo888

iandroo888 New Member

it almost seems like the bed is a little saggy in the middle

also, is there any way to keep the Z-axis nuts from coming out? i guess thats an issue of it not being calibrated but ugh thats messed me up so many times !

#6 iandroo888, Apr 19, 2020
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

1) OK, the pictures confirm it is a beta
    2) so you need to make sure that you are not trying to use autoleveling (it will not work correctly with that hardware). For now, make sure whatever slicer you use does NOT include a G29 in the startup GCode block it uses. If you are not aware of how/where to check this we need to know which slicer/host program you are using and then can show you where to set that.
    3) If the Z nuts are getting knocked out of the crossbar then you have the Z home position set too low. The way the printer finds "home" is that is pushes each axis (X, Y, Z) until the home switch triggers. The X axis home switch is shown in this picture :
    X axis.jpg

The Y axis is under the bed -- under the front edge there is a switch and a post to trigger it similar to the above for X
    The Z you already have in your photo

So when it get the HOME command (G28) it drives the X home (looks for the switch to close) then drives the Y home (waits for the switch to close) and lastly drives the Z home (waits for the switch to close.

If that unseats your Z rod nuts from the crossbar then you need to adjust the screw that is on top of the Z home switch to extend further down towards the switch (which means that when the switch closes the crossbar is further off of the bed and so is the extruder)

Keep doing that -- raise the Z, adjust the screw and homing the printer -- until the Z nuts are no longer getting unseated and the nozzle is just touching the bed.

Once you get there we an take the next step and start leveling.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The only "position" that the printer actually knows -- is HOME. Everything else is math :)

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If the bed actually is lower in the center, you can sort that out with a thin piece of float glass (window glass like you can buy at a hardware store) cut to fit the bed, hold it on with binder clamps. You will have to readjust your Z home switch when you add that over the existing bed.

Probably the best upgrade is to add autoleveling, but get it printing first :) There are parts you need to print to do that.

10. iandroo888

iandroo888 New Member

my start g code is as follows

G28 ;
    G1 Z5 F5000 ;
    M565 Z-0.90 ;

yeah ive been trying to mess with the switch to see where is a good position. I noticed these switches are different from the ones in the later versions as it has this thin piece of metal that helps hit the button whereas the later versions dont (hopefully its something that can be cheaply changed)

ill try adjusting it without the tape now

*edit* ok its now just touching the bed (just lookin at light pass through)

yeah autoleveling seems like a dream function to have right now

#10 iandroo888, Apr 20, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You do not need:

M565 Z-0.90 ;

That sets the offset for the autoleveling so with no G29 it is unused.

You want to adjust the offset of Z axis (with the screw again and yes -- those switches are a couple bucks at amazon) so that when you slide a sheet of paper under the tip of the nozzle it will move, but you can feel resistance/drag on the paper from the nozzle. That is where you want it set at to start printing.

Adding autoleveling is a simple modification. A quick summary is:
    1) You print two switch mounts mounts
    2) swap the Z nuts for slightly longer ones
    3) move the one Z switch and add a second one in series with it (minor wiring redo)
    4) load the correct firmware :)

There is a thread on it here and I can point you to the printable parts on thingiverse So once you get it printing it is a one-day job.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Once you have the initial height of the nozzle correct I would print something like the attached 1-layer tall print and adjust it at the corners with the screws until it looks like this: https://www.printedsolid.com/blogs/news/37035715-get-your-prints-to-stick-check-your-skirt

Attached is a sample 1-layer model to slice and use

Again if you bed really is warped such that it will not print correctly in the middle look at adding a thin sheet of float glass since that will sort it out.

Attached Files:

13. iandroo888

iandroo888 New Member

ok i did the paper thing, now what do i do

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Use the model I included above for testing since it is quick

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can also use shims of any sort as well to help space the bed/nozzle. One thing that helped a lot with the old bed was to add springs around the screws that anchor the bed to the rails. That way simply turning the screw would easily allow you to adjust the height of the bed at any given corner and you just kept adjusting until you had it as level as you could get it,

This is a genius idea: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:125626

17. iandroo888

iandroo888 New Member

now only if i can print correctly

[​IMG]

i stopped it by 3 rings as it didnt look like the picture in mattercontrol. noticed its super thin on the right side (left of machine) and it doesnt have those gaps

#17 iandroo888, Apr 20, 2020
  18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There are screws in the corners that attach the bed plate to the rails.
    See my link above for the thingiverse link that shows how to add a spring to the screw that you can then easily adjust -- You do not need the plastic printed sheath for the springs for the screws with springs to work...

19. iandroo888

iandroo888 New Member

hmmm time to find some springs

20. iandroo888

iandroo888 New Member

tried using springs i found in pens but they seemed too weak. im using some washers to maybe help level

weirdly after using a straight edge to see how flat the bed is, its very mildly bowed convexly in the middle width wise... length seems perfectly flat

#20 iandroo888, Apr 20, 2020