1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unabled to move the z screw (for setting z home)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Melody Bliss, Nov 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

So I thought I had things set and didn't need to move this screw but noticed today while having it move into the home position that the extruder was hitting the glass bed and the thus the carriage was moving off of the two Z screws.

So I go back to leveling the carriage again. Previously I did not have to adjust the Z home screw but this time I do as the screw doesn't seem to be depressing the switch. However, nothing I do can manage to even budge this screw. I can't produce enough downward force on a screwdriver but instead the screwdriver just wants to ride on top of the screw.

Any ideas on what I can do?

Mel

2. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

hrm. I may be wrong. I'm watching the printer again and noticed that it seems like it may be getting caught on a ziptie.

[​IMG]

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Given the position of he screw and the belt it is quite awkward to reach. Try loosening it first if it does need adjustment. Generally, once you do get it set that one seems to stay pretty well.

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

give us a pic of the switch and the screw you may have an issue you need to fix the fulcrum of the lever on the micro switch needs be toward the back some people have had theirs put on backwards and it can lead to some issues like you are describing about making contact with the bed

5. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

I'll take a picture later after the unit finishes this current print.

My Robo3D is a fully assembled PLA+ABS model.

6. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

All teh printers come fully assembled it was something missed in the QA process for quite a few printers

7. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

So took this photo while the printer is running. Here is the switch

[​IMG]

8. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

yep it is backwards you need to take jus tthe switch off and turn it around so the open part of the lever is forward then screw it back down.

The weight of teh extruder assembly on that side is only heavy enough to activate that switch some of the time that is why it is not supposed to go on that way. The screw you see there should contact the outer part of the lever where just a bit of movement will activate the switch. You will have a z stop switch that actually works after you turn it around.

Welcome to startups QA.
    They have missed a few things but they are generally doing OK

3 people like this.
  9. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

Thanks! That's good to know. I'll have to reverse it tomorrow. :)

Do I need to remove anything else to get to the switch? It looks like I need to at least remove the cover to do so.

10. Thamer Albahiti

Thamer Albahiti Active Member

you just need to remove the cover, you'll see the two screws holding the switch, take out - flip - put back
    :)

11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

well, shuck mah corn. Mine has been backwards all along. That would explain some of the Z calibration 'difficulties'. I will also adjust that... (helps explain why the Z adjust screw was at the stop just to get this to work at all).

12. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

So I solved the movement issue. I could not, no matter what, get enough torque on top of the screw to move it no matter what I did. So at the hardware store, I picked up a 90 degree ratching screwdriver. It's an itty bitty thing and had no problem getting the screw to move :)

I also unbolted the cover to the printer and fix the Z axis stop switch. Obviously afterwards I had to rebalance but now I could!

[​IMG]

13. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Damn that is small I'd lose that in my hand LOL

14. BrianAnim

BrianAnim New Member

Could someone post a photo of what it's supposed to look like for reference?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.