1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unbalanced X axis messing with Z

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by richard, Oct 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richard

richard New Member

Hello there, I recently changed the Z stabilizers at the bottom of the smooth rods on my printer as the old one had cracked and broken, I used the same model.

Now that iv put it all back together I have a problem with the right side of the X platform lifting up. I made a short video to explain it better:

Sorry for the short rants.

any this is one of the old pla kickstarter models if that helps.

I think the problem is with the new Z stabilisers but I'm not sure and would be greatfull for some advice before I print new ones while holding down the right side the entire time lol.

2. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Richard,
    Sounds like you are very experienced in using the printer but I have a few questions just so we don't miss anything. Is the X axis level? Does the nozzle have the same gap to the bed on the left as the right? If not then twist the left or right Z coupler to even it out. If not then is your bed out of level in the X direction? I guess the next question is are the new Z rod holders (or one of them) out of square to the bed?

3. richard

richard New Member

The X axis is level and the z rod holders are in tight, Im thinking now the left smooth rod is pulling up to the left. I must of bent it slightly getting it in the new holders.
    The bed itself is rubbish, the entire thing put me off using it after a week or two of first getting it. Starting playing with it again about 3 weeks ago so its not seen much use but I plan on changing the bed to smooth rods, costs me less then £10 in parts I just want to make sure the printer is up for printing the 2 larger parts 1st but it seems iv messed it up lol

2 people like this.
  4. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Yeah a bend Z rod would do that. I got new smooth rods from ebay pretty cheaply.

I was able to level my original bed by adjusting the screws that hold it onto the drawer rails. It was a bit fussy but has stayed level for the last year. I got the bed upgrade anyways because my original bed was a bit concave.

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

If you spin the rods so that the nut seats into the right side does it still do it?

I'm leaning more towards unlevel X axis

6. collin

collin New Member

is that an ancient jhead I see. if it is and you dont replace youll get a lot of annoying jams sooner or later.

7. richard

richard New Member

After being away for a week I came back fresh and decided to redo everything I can on this printer because the more I look at it the more I see its been rushed and slapped together at my expense. So I ordered some stuff and working on making it a decent printer.

Iv replaced the smooth rods and havnt tried them out yet as iv got to install the e3d v6 and wire it up (not sure if the plus and minus on the heater wires matters as they have no markings) .

But I would like to replace the bearings in the X carriage as they look battered for how little use they have seen.~
    Any ideas on getting them out?

8. richard

richard New Member

I mean the Bearings that run up and down the Z smooth rods*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.