1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

USB issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Nemesiscoins, Jul 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nemesiscoins

Nemesiscoins New Member

I noticed my printer sometimes wasn't recognized in MC. I figured it was a USB conflict and left it alone.
    It was a bit of a nuisance today and I tried to trace it. Long story short the port from the printer is "faulty".
    I giggled the cable and found it would connect and disconnect as I did so. I tried a different cable and same story. Is there a way to troubleshoot this or hopefully an easy fix?

2. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

As a jury rig fix, you could probably tape the cable to the printer in an orientation that holds connection. Beyond that, it's probably poking around at solder joints and connection tines to figure out the issue or replacing the connector.

Longer term, you may want to consider an LCD display or one of the wireless solutions out there. Aside from the trouble you're having, a number of issues can come up with USB connections. Ranging from the simple 'whoops, computer decided to freeze up 5 hours into my print' to more complex noise type issues on the line causing more subtle problems.

The LCD and other solutions allows you to run without being connected to your computer.

3. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

There's a usb cable support for the robo3d on thingiverse that might help.

4. Nemesiscoins

Nemesiscoins New Member

Thanks ! It might help. What I found is the cable needs to be pushed in tighter. right now I'm using tape wrapped around the end of the cord then tightly taped to the side and then tape securing it. I'm going to try the stl you recommended but I may end up making my own.

5. RobG619

RobG619 New Member

I had that problem and found it to be a driver issue. I updated to the latest version of Matter Control and still no go. Finally I read the "about info" Matter Control and found it was written from the Cura software ultimaker uses. I went and got Cura and installed it. It installed drivers midway through installation and the sound of a usb device connecting sounded off. I then launched MC and it automatically detected the printer no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 people like this.
  6. Nemesiscoins

Nemesiscoins New Member

I tried your fix and it didn't solve my issue, but thanks for the help. My problem is the cable needs to fit tightly into the type B jack on the printer otherwise it doesn't connect well. For a temp fix I use two cable ties on the cable and use tape to attach them securely onto the case which in turn keeps it snug against the plug.
    Still fine tuning to get rid of globs and splits then I will try using the SD card soon and may eventually buy an lcd reader.

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

As a brute force approach you can just replace the board. They aren't too expensive (but sux to need to do that)

8. Nemesiscoins

Nemesiscoins New Member

Not sure If I want to do that just yet , but I would appreciate it if you could provide a link to the board
    Im going to be without a printer for a little while as my bed gets repaired and may use the time to build an enclosure and perhaps install a new board.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

In our case I think the USB hub is on the ardunio. So that is the one you would need to swap.

At least the electronics are all pretty common stuff ... you would need to (duh) reload the firmware. In fact you could do that on the bench and make sure it loads and then do the board swap(s).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.