1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Using toshiba netbook to control ROBO 3D R1

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Juan Guzman, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Juan Guzman

Juan Guzman New Member

Hello all,
    I am trying to use a Toshiba netbook to control my ROBO 3d R1 but it does not connect I have tried with Matter control software, the netbook is running windows 7 starter

Also I do not know how to assign a port to be used by the printer.

What am I missing? Firmware, windows 7 is not good for 3d printers?

Is there any software I can use that is better than matter control?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Pretty much anything else is better. Cura, Repetier host to name a couple of free ones.

Make sure the USB driver is installed.
    Install the Arduino programming UI (arduino.cc) and make sure it can connect to the Arduino in the printer (set the board type to Arduino Mega 2560).

Windows Device manager should show it when connected as an Arduino Mega 2560

Make sure the baud rate that the software you are printing with connects at 250000

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Also, once you get it working make certain that windows will not hibernate or shutdown the USB ports to conserve power. So edit your windows power profile.

4. Juan Guzman

Juan Guzman New Member

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, I will try that today.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Lastly, throw away MatterControl and use something else.
    Nice free alternatives: Repetier host or Cura.

6. Matt77

Matt77 New Member

I had a lot of troubles with it too, also running Windows 7. Try going into Device Manager, find Ports and find where (it should) say "Taurino - ATMega2560" or something to that affect. It should say what port# next to that. Now, in your MatterControl software go to the connection status button. Click it, and then click edit. It will show available ports and what port it is trying to connect to (blackened radio button). Try changing port #s there, and if that doesn't work plug your usb cable into a different port. Last thing you can try is to right click on the Taurino in the Device Manager and click Uninstall. Unplug your cable and plug it back in and let it reinstall the drivers. It's seems like I had to do a combination of all of the above to resolve it, and I'm not sure what it was that actually fixed it. I think there is something in MatterControl that makes it unnecessarily hard to reconnect once somethings changed. I don't have this problem with other plug and play devices.

I'm a Business Major not a Computer Science major, so a lot of what I do is like the blind squirrel trying to find the nut, so don't get frustrated. Once you finally get connected, a word of advice, don't change anything as far as that usb port. Keep it plugged in, and like Mark said, don't let the computer hibernate. Go into your Control Panel=>System&Security=>PowerOptions and then select "high performance" as your preferred plan.

mark tomlinson likes this.