1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Warp issues with squared objects

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Khurram Ali, Feb 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khurram Ali

Khurram Ali Member

With ABS plastic material, objects are warping and the bottom corners would pull loose from the build platform.

I am using painter's tape on the platform. Layer height = .3mm
    Extruder at 220 C, printbed at 90 C

2. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Are you using the brim setting? Play with brim width and # layers. ABS prints with solid infill in the bottom will tend to shrink more. More material, more force to pull in. I have never used painters tape. I use Aquanet hairspray.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You can try running the bed temp a little higher (I have gone to 100c) but generally speaking the 'mouse ear' tabs or other approaches (like different filament) are probably better. ABS just does tend to warp/curl somewhat. The flatter/wider the object the worse.

4. Jimwahhh

Jimwahhh Member

I had the same issue and my printer could not maintain 100c (the most it could sustain was around 85C) but I found that it was just because the fan on the extruder was blowing over the whole part rather than just to the tip of the extruder.

Long story short, I bent up a piece of a coke can as a duct, attached it to the fan mount and now it can stay at the set temp and nothing curls off the bed any more. Combination of under-rated components, poor design and lack of testing to me, but that's just my opinion. Now that I can successfully print I am looking at designing a better fan duct.

2 people like this.
  5. sjreggel

sjreggel New Member

I would love to see it, as my bed is still cutting out at 80-85 degrees, even with additional cooling fan on the control board. I guess this would help, otherwise i have to replace the polyfuse.

6. Jimwahhh

Jimwahhh Member

Unfortunately if your board is actually cutting out then I'm not sure a duct would help. I have already installed a Solid State Relay because my board was cutting out. Now it just stays at about 85C if I don't have the coke can duct on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.