1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Was recently given an R1. Bed wont heat.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by dylantep, Aug 29, 2019.

1. dylantep

dylantep New Member

Hello everyone,

I was recently given someones old R1 printer. It looks like they did some modifications and I'm not fimilar enough with the printer to know what is stock and what isn't. I turned it on and almost everything seems to be functioning except the bed heat.

I followed the wires and everything seems to be attached firmly and nothing looks burnt anywhere. That being said theres a few components on the underside that I haven't seen in anyone elses troubleshooting videos or pictures. I have included some pictures here and would love some help diagnosing the problem.

Pictures: imgur.com/a/izW0ENN
    [​IMG]

Looking forward to getting this thing up and running!

#1 dylantep, Aug 29, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Post a link to your pictures on imagur or flickr
    Until you have a few posts (5/6... don't remember) you can't post photos.

3. dylantep

dylantep New Member

Thanks! I've been trying to sort out the pictures. I'll try imgur

4. dylantep

dylantep New Member

Looks like I need 3 posts to be able to add links

5. dylantep

dylantep New Member

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Not sure what parts you are asking about, but looking at your picture:

Red circle = RAMPS 1.4 on top of Arduino Mega 2560. This is the control and communications for the printer
    Green Circle: Stepper motors (controlled by RAMPS)
    Yellow Circle: 12vDC power supply (33 amp). powers everything
    White circle: AC plug connector and fuse.

The terminal strip above the green circle has the power to the bed heater going through it (from RAMPS and power supply) as well as the thermistor for reading the bed temperature

Edited.jpg

Looks like you have an LCD controller attached to your RAMPS as well -- for controlling the printer w/o a computer. Also has an SD card slot for printing without a computer.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

8. dylantep

dylantep New Member

Thanks, I hadnt seen the terminal in the upper left (above the green circle) or the large heat sink in the top center on anyone else printer. I did follow the wires through those components and everything looks properly attached. not sure where else to look for potential problems

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The heat sink may be attached to a Solid State Relay that is controlling the 12v power to the bed heater. There are a number of threads on that as well. It keeps a fault in the heater from killing the RAMPS board. That is an end-user modification and without a closer look I can't be certain. You may have a faulty SSR if that is the case.

11. dylantep

dylantep New Member

Thanks for help and helpful links. The heat sink is attached to an SSR. Is there a way to tell if the issue is with the SSR or the RAMPS board?

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sure, turn on and connect to the printer (with it sideways) have the LCD or software tell the bed to start heating
    Check the output of the RAMPS board to see if 12v is coming from it on the bed heater connection.

Looks like you have an actual RAMPS 1.4 so it looks like this:

RAMPS.png

D8 should have 12vdc (read it with a multimeter) coming off of it when the bed heater is turned on. If it does then you would check the output of the SSR to see if it is passing the power to the bed heater, if it (D8) does NOT have 12v then your RAMPS board has a problem. If it DOES have 12v, but the bed is not getting power from the SSR then that is bad.

Take care around the live components, other than the A/C into the power supply everything is 12vdc (so it is fairly safe).

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The RAMPS boards failing on that output (D8) is common, but that is when D8 is directly driving the bed heater. It is far less common for it to fail when using an SSR to drive the bed heat. I'd honestly suspect the SSR myself.

14. dylantep

dylantep New Member

Thank you so much for helping

I'm measuring 12v on both D8 on the RAMPS board and on the SSR output. So I guess I need to replace the SSR?

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, if the SSR is putting out 12v to the bed heater and the heater is not getting hot then ... you have a bad heater :) Trace the wires and make sure that there is no break in them from the SSR to the heater pad itself. Make sure you are checking the output (contacts) of the SSR, not the coil side (the side that goes the bed heater is the one you want to check)

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Bed heater pads failing are not unheard of. Not a daily thing, but they do fail occasionally.

17. dylantep

dylantep New Member

ok. I think I was checking the wrong side of the SSR. looks like both sides read 12v. Wires are looking good to me. I can't really see under the bed so I'll probably rip that off and see if I can see anything else.

Down the rabbit hole we go!

Thanks again for the help!

mark tomlinson likes this.
  18. dylantep

dylantep New Member

ok, so, there was another bed floating around in all the stuff I received with the printer. This one is the newer style with magnets. I had to replace the entire Y carriage which wasn't great. But, I made the swap and hooked the wires back up, turned it on, and still no bed heat :(

any other thoughts? Should I just bypass the SSR and plug the bed straight into the RAMPS board?

Update: plugged straight into the RAMPS and the bed seems to be heating! so the problem must be with the SSR. How important is this component? it seems like most printers don't have them

#18 dylantep, Aug 29, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, you can. That will at least rule out the SSR.
    It is better to use the SSR, but if it is possibly not working, just connect the two wires that go to the bed heater to the two terminals on D8 of the RAMPS. (they are not polarity sensitive).

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If that fails then regardless of seeing the voltage on D8 -- it must be the RAMPS. I can't recall ever seeing one fail that way, but it is possible I suppose.