1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partially Solved well read noob...several issues.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Erlis Miller, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Erlis Miller

Erlis Miller New Member

Robo3d R1, 8mm, autolevel, robo3d white filament, upgraded to latest Firmware assuming I did that correctly, firmware displays autov5, 3weeks old.

Physical mods: z smooth rod stabilizers, bought xxl LCD from printed solid hooked it up but haven't really used it.

First week I printed and printed and loved this thing. Lately I'm having a few wired issues... I'll try to be clear.

1) first layer height. I keep having issues where I need to adjust my z offset constantly. I'll slice a print and it will print 10mm off the bed. Without changing any settings I can slice the same object and it will print as I would expect and then the next might be in the glass so hard its strips the filament at hobbed bolt, very inconsistent.

2. layer separation. When I do manage to get a great first layer I have an issue where the filament will leave gaps or string across corners randomly. I thought it may be under extrusion but I have done calibration extruders so often it hurts. I am accurate consistently to within 99 of 100mm each time. I have tried a print temp range of 190°-210° in 5° increments with no real change. This is the result https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...authkey=!ABxq35Q0WVq6zpw&v=3&ithint=photo,jpg and on the inside it looks like this https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...authkey=!AI6I2chkh9Q-qe0&v=3&ithint=photo,jpg

3. Is it possible to get a defective heated bed glass? I notice on larger prints the front and back of the bed will adhere nicely and the middle wont be squished as nicely or may not even touch at all. I laid a straight edge on the glass and I have a 1-1.5mm variation from the front most edge to the middle of the bed.

4. Temp. I noticed when I try to heat the bed to 85° or so and the hot end to 235° for ABS, it will not carry the heat. I will start o preheat and then stop at some point near the actual set temp. Haven't spent a lot of time on this one just throwing I out there.

Hopefully this is clear enough to follow an I can iron out some wrinkles before too long.

#1 Erlis Miller, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2015
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

What are you using to print/slice? That is probably a culprit in #1 (and maybe #2).
    #4 you can't do those temps without changing the limits in the firmware. 85 degree bed will trip the BED MAXTEMP.
    If you have the ribbon cable from the bed heater you can safely raise this. My beta has the max at 115*.

Can't comment on #2 (can't see pictures)

*doing this is a firmware change. Download the firmware and edit the settings in CONFIGURATION.H then reload.

http://help.robo3dprinter.com/Wiki/RoBo_3D_Firmware

firmware and instructions there.

#2 mark tomlinson, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  3. Erlis Miller

Erlis Miller New Member

Hmm..not sure why the pics don't load.

4. Droid

Droid Member

I updated my firmware but did not change any settings in CONFIGURATION H, what changes need to be made, what do they do, and how are these chances made.
    Im sure there if a thread on this already but im to tired/over looking up stuff right now to search for it.

5. nierro

nierro Member

Your 1&2 sounds like it might of have been uploaded with different ver of the firmware. speaking from exp. it happened to me and had simular exp.

6. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

You need to tackle one issue at a time. First start with number 1 then move down the list. What slicer are you using? Also ones you find the correct offset once you shouldn't have to change it again unless you do some mods.

7. Erlis Miller

Erlis Miller New Member

I really appreciate the insight folks.

So here are the steps I've taken to resolve some of my issues.

I re-downloaded the latest firmware from robo changed only bed temp in configuration file. I also changed the display name on the firmware to something unique so new it updated correctly. That process went fine.

I then reloaded all my software. I had been using Cura but have since switched to Repitier host and have been slicing with Slic3r.

My inconsistent autolevel routine and first layer issues have gone away....almost (more on that later) but I'm printing with fair results and a fair to good first layer result.

Someone suggested one issue at a time so lets conquer my over/under extrusion issue.

so here is a lcd assembly I've been trying to print since i don't know when. Its @Mike Kelly design and so far I've only tried printing the front cover

robo r1
    robo pla filament printed at 200°/bed 55°
    repitier host sliced with slicer
    .2mm layer hight
    .3mm first layer with 200% first layer fill

issues with this print.

first layer: good adhesion but its not filled in correctly.
    WP_20150418_003.jpg note the jump across the corner, the first layer did not do this but the next 10 or so did.

WP_20150418_004.jpg good example of first layer issue.
    The 2nd and 3rd layers had some issue of not touching the layer beneath it. in the holes the filament jumping the corner is the 2nd layer.

Also on the left side...over extrusion?

and below?
    WP_20150418_010 (2).jpg
    this is the inside to the picture above and its not bad
    WP_20150418_011.jpg

I included this to contrast finish layer, which is ok but not great, to the first layer?
    WP_20150418_018.jpg
    One thing at a time? How about one print at a time?

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

First layer is a bit too high I think.
    Reduce your Z offset little.
    Calibrate the extruder -- some of that looks like a little over extrusion.

9. Erlis Miller

Erlis Miller New Member

I have calibrated the extruder several time (not since the last firmware update) and it always feeds 99 or 100mm of filament. So I know its very close. Also since the firmware update I've printed 2 10mm test cubes and 2 30 mm test cubes all printed fine and measured fine.

I'll double check the calibration again, just out of curiosity which line in the firmwarw gets the adjustment and whats the variable? Steps, mm, or something else?

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Configuration.h:

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,80,2267.72,723.38} // default steps per unit for RoBo 3D R1

Those are example values only, they will likely not be correct for your printer. I just copied it from a version of the firmware I had on the drive. You get the idea :)

{X, Y, Z, Extruder}

11. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

I agree with mark in lowering your z offset. It's a little to high. I say that because the first layer lines should all smash together. Leaving no gaps in them at all. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of any of my first layers. Lets start with that first though.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I would also add more top/bottom layers (once you get the first one looking good). 2-3 are not a lot and I prefer a minimum of three MM of top/bottom... in some cases even more.