1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

What is the correct length for the Y belt?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Michael Stone, Sep 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Stone

Michael Stone Member

My Y belt has slipped and lost some tension, resulting in angled prints.

I checked the belt, and I can only find a size marking on one side.... and unfortunately that's not the side that slipped.

I'm going to zip-tie the good end of the belt to keep it in place, but I'm not sure how much tension to put on the other end without a marking. If you all can give me a length, I'll know where to put a new making and I'll zip-tie it as well once it is fixed.

2. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey Michael, that happened to me as well at one point. I now have 2 zip ties on each side. I would recommend(For me the belt tension was lost on the front side of the printer) pulling the Y axis out all the way out (Towards the front of the printer), undo the belt from the bracket and tighten it. I'm going to go ahead and make a video right now and will upload it.
    - Harry

3. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey Michael, give me around 45 minutes to get this video done. Filming it right now.

4. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey Michael, halfway done filming and camera ran out of battery. I need to go charge it so taking longer than expected.

5. Michael Stone

Michael Stone Member

K, thanks for going through the effort.

6. Michael Stone

Michael Stone Member

Just checking in for an update......

7. Michael Stone

Michael Stone Member

Well, I think I've answered this myself now. Measuring the interior (from the inside end of the endstops, not the posts the belt goes around) length of the belt without tension, it looks like 16 1/2 inches endstop-to-endstop.

8. Michael Stone

Michael Stone Member

Actually, make that "around" 16 1/2 inches...... apparently it's not uniform. I have 2 Robo printers. I measured the Y belt on the working printer to 16 1/2 inches. I then took the non-working one apart to tighten the belt up, and it was already at 16 1/3....... so the measurements don't look the same.

I tightened it up "some" and reattached. We'll see how it goes, but I hate not having correct measurements between systems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.