1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

What Robo3D say about ABS in general

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by OMG Really!, Nov 25, 2013.

?

How has your introduction to 3D printing been so far....?

Poll closed Dec 2, 2013.
  1. Brilliant: no issues at all. Gold Stamp. Superstar.

33.3%
  2. Fair but okay: tripping over a few issues but printing successfully sometimes.

83.3%
  3. Not Happy: No smiley here, just wasted filament and irritation. Need Help.

16.7%
  4. Dont Ask: My only creation was making it a boat anchor. The Trash man refused it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OMG Really!

OMG Really! Member

Being new to the 3d world I vented some frustration about the technicality of 3d printing in general, or so I think, and the dismal results I have had using ABS to date

The reply I received was given me from Technical Support so consider it public information. In a way it was a relief having confirmation that it can be a pain in the bum...... so if you think it is just you or just your printer stuffing up ....... a deep breath and share the hopefully short term learning pains. Jerry I appreciate you being upfront!

NOV 26, 2013 | 06:14PM PST
    Jerry Grauman replied:
    Dear Rick,
    I think the frustration is quite widespread when we consider the entire 3D printing community. 3D printing is a challenging craft. We are often challenged by a print. I would say it’s around 50% of the time, a print challenges us and we have to re-think how to better make the print happen or just spend more time with it, fine tune a setting, etc. ABS ads one more complication to the print.
    I’m sorry that information wasn’t clear at the start. We are learning as we go, about how our customers experience is going. And as we learn we are trying to implement the right solutions and information into our system. Thank you so much for working so diligently with your printer.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

On the other hand, 75% of my prints have been ABS and once beyond the issues of learning WTH I am doing, a high percentage of the ABS prints we have done are just fine. Plus you can acetone polish them :)

I now have to re-think PLA every time I want to print with it. It is just a process.

3. Mattchu

Mattchu Member

I'm attempting ABS tonight. PLA/printing in general was a nightmare up until last weekend, so I'm hoping my fixes make it work better. Fun thing PLA, it can actually make physical contact with acetone and only melt a lil bit. Kiss with sandpaper a lil before or after, and it's nice and smooth! The things we do at work when we're bored :p (note, don't dip it in...use a lil stream bottle if you want to try. and goggles and gloves. be safe, operate acetone in a VERY well ventilated area).

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

for my two cents worth I have primarily found the printing with PLA is much easier. The most important setting required is still teh initial z height without that ALL bets are off and the failures can easily mask themselves as possibly being caused by other things. I probably would have worked with ABS more but I have had ongoing heatbed issues so the heated bed option is a bit tricky with me currently. I do have to state that for the novice printer PLA would be far and away my only choice to get started and so my opinion is reflected when I assists others. The higher heat requirements are teh probably the worst to deal with due to the fact that the usual temp for extruding ABS can be close to and sometimes exceed the limit of teh extruder in the first place and trying to do so can cause other issues for those not familiar with the firmware and how the printer reacts when temps are exceeded too much confusion that is not really needed for the novice printer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.