1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

What settings do you use in Repetier?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Madgrayhatt3r, Apr 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madgrayhatt3r

Madgrayhatt3r New Member

1. I've looked around the forum, and didn't see anything on this topic, so I decided to ask the question. What settings do you use in Repetier? Currently I am working with PLA. I haven't quite mastered it to the point that I feel comfortable moving on to ABS. Anyway, I just wanted to see what settings everyone uses in Repetier. Do you use the settings recommended by ROBO? Do you deviate from these? Which settings do you change, and why? So on and so on.

2. I have noticed when printing some files that even though I un-check the box in Repetier that says generate support material. Regardless, I still have a bunch of support material printed. For example, one of the Z axis supports refuses to print without support even though I un-check the box. Are there ways to make the support material easier to remove? When I am removing support material, I use a combination of exacto blade, scribes, jewelers files, small wire cutters, and alot of patience! But the support material is still stuck to the model such that the model gets damaged during the removal process.

3. I am currently dealing with the tip on my E3d being clogged, it is currently soaking in Acetone. Is it a good idea to melt the PLA out of the tip using a propane torch? Just enough to get it out, I know that I cant just let it set there and burn as the tip itself may become damaged.

Thanks!

Steve
    MadGrayHatt3r

2. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

There is a video on youtube on the robo3dprinter site showing detailed settings for Repetier software. Use the setting in that video on all your software and tweak it from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Madgrayhatt3r

Madgrayhatt3r New Member

Yes, I am aware of the videos, and also aware of the faq. Those are the defaults that I am talking about, where I said those recommended by ROBO. Thanks

Steve

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Peter, Mad, I would use those at your own risk they are very general

The reason you most like do not see the specs is after the general settings the personalized settings begin to have the printer characteristics begin to have affects so what I have may or may not work to well for you

Most would help probably but not all but nothing is guaranteed
    contact me via skype somtime and we can go over what I have and a neat little technique I use that lots of people like

5. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Are you sure the unchecked support box remained unchecked when you saved the setting? Repetier or Slic3R has a bug in that some settings revert back to what they where when you hit save. This mysteriously happens for some of the options like the "solid infill every..." option. Just play around a bit and you will get it to stick. If this is not your problem then I'm not sure where to look. Try the latest version of Repetier and Slic3R.

6. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I have heard of this as well but the issue really was that some of these settings default to certain setting based on other more critical settings. An exact example of this is the setting for infill type if infill percentage is anything other than 100% then all patterns are available for use but if infill is set to 100% then the only pattern that can be used is rectilinear. I have run across about 3 or 4 examples of this but this is the only one that comes to mind right now.

A simple trick to validate your settings is to try running from the gcode from another user for the same part this bypasses your settings completely and uses those from the person you got the gcode from.

Gcode is a version of your stl file tuned by the setting you select in slicer.

This is a nice little trick to have as you can determine where issues lie if you have an issue occurring you can generate gcode for the object and have some else print it if it comes out fine on their system the the problem is in your printer.

If they take your stl and generate Gcode for you and you print it and the issue is gone then it is a settings thing.

All this being said the newer version of slic3r to me have been more buggy then the older ones so try both ways sometimes newer is not always better

7. Kam

Kam New Member

I have twice clogged my E3d through user error. My error was in attempting to retract the filament to remove it without first extruding some. As the length of filament in the hot end had been heated and cooled I ended up with a nice plug sitting in the heat break. Anyway, I am using PLA, and found it easy to remove by dropping the heat break and extruder into simmering water for 30-60 minutes. This softens it so that it easy to push or dig out using any thin straight implement. I used a fine drill bit, but a matchstick or cocktail stick would probably have done the job.

8. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

I just had this happen again with Vertical Shells. Tried to change it from 2 to 3 and it snapped back on save. I then changed it again and then changed Horizontal Top to to something random and then back, saved and the Vertical Shells change stuck. It is pretty random and is not necessary tied to any other settings that I could make sense of. I thought I read this in a GitHub entry but can't find it again. I think this is probably a Slic3R bug.

9. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

there certainly were some bugs in the slic3r but some people thought that this was a bug when it wasn't so they just never bothered to try and fix it that is why I mention it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.