1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

What the heck?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by mark tomlinson, Oct 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

So, after a day of printing perfect (after getting the belt tightened) all of the sudden it has gone crazy.

When printing (or trying to) it prints the border/skirt then the first layer of the model. But it will never print the second layer... it just destroys the first! It just walks through the previous layer (destroying it) it is like it is not incrementing the Z axis when it is ready to do the 2nd layer.

You can manually raise/lower or otherwise position the head so I am puzzled on this. Models that previously printed are simply toast. nothing will print beyond the first layer.

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

try a print again and look at the the z height in Repetier see if it actually increments and send pics showing us whats going on we may be able to see something

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I thought perhaps a bunch of pending windows updates was the culprit, but no. It is still doing it this morning.

There is little to take pictures of (although a video would be possible). Essentially it does the skirt fine and the first layer fine and then proceeds to demolish the first layer when it should be going to the next.

How/where would I see this? Would seeing the Gcode be of any use?
    I can easily manually control the Z height with Repetier.

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

next to where you control the z height and the home buttons right next to each axis is its current value does the z increment after the first layer

also look below on both the threaded rod do you see nuts on those rods or are they hidden?

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Found the Z display in Repteir.

Also think I found the problem. Looks like it had gotten reset to generate support / raft layers in one box and that was what was doing it.

I do not (did not) need raft layers on these... not sure what happened. I will on some models later so I will open a new thread to discuss that.

Thanks.

6. Das Wookie

Das Wookie Active Member

I've found Repteir & Slic3r to be rather buggy with not holding settings or you set it, apply, save, go back and the old setting is there again... or you make your changes, save, go back, and it (or perhaps Slic3r) is generating with the old settings. Keep in mind that these aren't "Robo3D" products, they are opensource products developed for and by the community mostly for RepRap, which Robo is obviously a variant / child thereof. If you've got issues with the software, best to discuss those issues on those specific products sites... or look on the RepRap forums here:
    Repetier - http://forums.reprap.org/list.php?267
    Slic3r - http://forums.reprap.org/list.php?263

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.