1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Why doesn't vase mode print as a single extrusion?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by mithander, Dec 14, 2019.

1. mithander

mithander New Member

I am trying to figure out vase mode using MatterControl/MatterSlice. I have checked the box for "Spiral vase" and according to the description this "forces the print to have only one extrusion and gradually increases the extruder height during the print." I am also using layer height .3 (same for the first layer), 3 solid bottom layers, no infill, no top layers (and it does print hollow so that seems to be working correctly), extrusion width 0.6 (with a 0.4mm nozzle), temp about 8 degrees more than normal to compensate for the increased extrusion. I did get a fairly sturdy print with those settings, but my question is why, when I am watching it print, it will stop on one side of the vase, jump back to the other side of it to resume printing, or stop, jump back along the path it just printed about 0.5" and resume printing, leaving lots of little bumps throughout the print surface instead of being smooth. I thought that the idea of vase mode was to just keep going around and around without stopping and jumping around (which theoretically prevents the bumpy surface). Am I misinterpreting what it means by "only one extrusion"? Are there different settings needed to achieve this in MatterControl? Or is its default slicer not capable of doing this?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That is 100% controlled by the slicer and I can't comment on MatterControl (I do not use it) so perhaps someone else has an idea.

[but you can try another slicer]

#2 mark tomlinson, Dec 15, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2019