1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Why is connection to Repetier so unreliable?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by DCVAR, Nov 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DCVAR

DCVAR New Member

For every attempt at printing, I have to spend 90+ minutes trying to connect the printer to Repetier.

The repeated attempts are characterized by "5 commands waiting", varying FPS (from 60 to 2000+), "unknown printer firm...", "waiting for temperature." When it works, the firmware loads and the temperature reading pops up. Then all is well. But the road to that smile is long & arduous.
    I've tripled checked the printer settings (baud rate, etc) searched the forum and tried lots of the "fixes" suggested, including trying different ports, resetting the board, using a powered USB hub, all kinds of different power on/off & cable plugging sequences leading up to pushing connect, cycling Repetier on & off, and even an old voodoo doll I have... and I cannot find a reliable way to make the initial connection.

The only consistent element is dozens of attempts: sometimes it'll connect after one dozen attempts, sometimes after 3 dozen, sometimes after 6 dozen. There's got to be a better way.

Has anyone out there found a way to just plug & play?

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

PC or Mac?

3. DCVAR

DCVAR New Member

MacBook Air w/ OS 10.9, Repetier 0.56

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

So you've done:

Robo3D -> Powered USB Hub with no other plugs > MBA USB port with nothing else plugged in? And it still disconnects?

5. DCVAR

DCVAR New Member

That's right. Powered USB hub w/ no other plugs (in either the hub or the MBA). Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But as far as I can tell, my odds are just as good plugging the printer straight into the MBA.

6. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

Not sure if you can open multiple repetier apps at ones, but if you have more then one open you wont be able to connect properly.

Have you tried a different USB cable?

7. DCVAR

DCVAR New Member

Thanks for the suggestion.

For reasons that are beyond me (other than a good night's rest), when I woke up this morning, it connected on the first attempt. I tested fate and disconnected it and once again it connected successfully on the first attempt. I will keep the USB cable idea in mind, if I have issues.

Now, I'm on to the good fun of getting the calibration just right, getting the first layer to stick, etc. I'm happy to move on to another set of opportunities to learn about 3d printing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Repetier allows for multiple profiles for different printers but as far as I know only one repetier can be running at one time that is why we have SD cards etc. on our LCDs and if anyone is interested contact Printed he has several of the reprap discounct LCD he is selling on his website and it is super easy to setup one line of code in the firmware and your operational

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.