1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Wild and Crazy Ideas

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Vibroman, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Vibroman

Vibroman New Member

So the Payload thread got me thinking...
    I need a demo unit for a class I teach on proximity sensors. One type of sensor we talks about is capacitive. They work on a principle that capacitance changes with changes in dielectric constant of target material vs Air (which is 1.0) Most plastics are around 2 which is not enough to trigger the sensor... a good thing.
    Water is 80 so my thinking is making 2 test pieces that look the same externally 5 mm thick with 25% Fill so mostly air in the core and a second piece where I pause the print and fill or partially fill the core with water before finishing the final layers.
    If printing PLA the bed temp does not matter so provided I am not trying to lay the next layer on water it should bond right?
    I have already proved the concept by filling a calibration cube with water and having it trigger the sensor vs the empty cube.

Am I mad to even consider this?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Use hot water and if it is not large I bet you never even notice the difference while printing.