1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Wire Melted?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Chris Ryan, Jan 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Ryan

Chris Ryan New Member

I set up a print when i was gone and when I got back it failed and one of the wires (pic included) seemed to melt.

Also if I try to move anything in the settings it does not and it shows the temp as 0

Attached Files:

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

The pics are showing the damaged wiring for the thermistor. Which is the reason the extruder temperature is showing as zero.

And when the thermistor is broken, the firmware prevents some actions as a "fail safe". The fact that your print stopped while you were away is a safety measure to lower the risks of fire.

The thermistor wiring carries very little current so any "melting" must have happened because the wiring came in contact with something hot on the extruder. It's possible the wiring has caught on something and been stretched/broken rather than melted.

Anyway you will need to repair the thermistor wiring and (probably) replace the thermistor in the extruder heat block.

3. Chris Ryan

Chris Ryan New Member

I touched the thermistor wire to the other broken wire and I got a reading for a temperature. Does that mean that the thermistor is still operational and the wire just needs repairing

4. Chris Ryan

Chris Ryan New Member

so all i need to do is solder the wires together

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Right and measure the resistance across the thermistor to make sure it works afterwards.

6. Chris Ryan

Chris Ryan New Member

Two things will soldering it void my warranty and how do i measure the resistence

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

No but if you don't want to solder you can submit a replacement part request. Measure the resistance with a multimeter either on the plug or by probing the wire.

8. Chris Ryan

Chris Ryan New Member

I have soldered but i dont know how to measure resistance on a wire is there a certain resistance the wire should be

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

It should be around 100k at room temperature. You don't necessarily need to check the resistance but it's a good idea.

Do you mean you don't have a multimeter? or that you don't know where to measure from?

10. Chris Ryan

Chris Ryan New Member

I am probably going to solder the part so I can print from the printer and request a replacement part so the printer is permanently fixed

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Good plan :)

12. Chris Ryan

Chris Ryan New Member

thanks for your help

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.