1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved X+ Axis not moving....

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by jasonlnlv, Feb 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasonlnlv

jasonlnlv New Member

I new. I just got the R1 last week and have been having great success with it - made allot of downloaded prints to get the ideal and have fun... however I was doing a print last night and was about 3 inches up on the project and the printhead started to not go to the right on the X+ axis and kept going unaligned on the the print and finally got all the way over to the left on the X- axis and started making the grinding sound and I was made aware and stopped the print.

Now looking at the printer I do not see anything blocking the printhead and everything looks normal.. however when controlling the printer it moves All to the home position just fine, and also just fine on the Z Axis up and down and the bed on the Y Axis is fine - but the X Axis from the home position will only go about 20mm to the right (X+) then stops and binds up there...

Not sure where to check from here....

Thank you for any help,

Jason

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Can you manually (with the power off) move the print carriage +/- Y and +/- X fully?

3. jasonlnlv

jasonlnlv New Member

With the power off - the bed (Y-Axis) moves freely and the X-Axis only moves the 20mm or so an then binds - but with a little extra it will move but it can tell it is not wanting to. but moves freely back to the left OK....

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You need to carefully examine the X belt and carriage (unlike the Y which is under the bed, the X is right there in the air).

There should be nothing stopping the belt and carriage from travelling full range left-to-right across the bed.
    Sometimes things will get in the way (wire bundles or zip-ties). Take the cover off and check it out.

5. jasonlnlv

jasonlnlv New Member

Does the rails need to be oiled/greased? I will remove the cover and have a look...

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It doesn't hurt, but if the bearings are binding on the rails it is probably a bit late for that.
    Can't hurt to try it, but I would suspect a mechanical bind (wire caught or something) before that.

7. jasonlnlv

jasonlnlv New Member

On looking at it nothing seems to be in the way or caught up - I would not think the printer only out of the box a week would need lubricant on the rails... attached are pics - maybe I'm missing something....

Attached Files:

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can try lubricating the bearings on the X rods. I usually just put a little lithium grease on there periodically.
    No, it should not need to be lubricated that soon, but it may have a bad bearing in the X carriage.

9. jasonlnlv

jasonlnlv New Member

OK - I dont have any of that - is there something else that might work to lubricate it? temporarily until I can get that...

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Any fine/light machine oil.
    Lithium grease lasts better.

11. jasonlnlv

jasonlnlv New Member

OK - I will try that - Thanks for the comments - I setup a support call just in case it it a HW failure... Is there a guide on how to apply the grease correctly? or just along the rails and move the carriage....

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That always works for me :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.