1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

X-Axis Shifting

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by warlocke, Dec 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. warlocke

warlocke Active Member

Look to be having issues with my X-Axis shifting randomly during prints and the stepper gear popped off once probably because the set screws were a little loose and it wasn't sitting straight. I was able to refit it, but I noticed that the motor was looking crooked. After closer examination, it appears that the belt was installed too tight and has warped the mounting bracket.
    Has anyone else seen this? Looks like I need a new mounting bracket for the x-stepper.

Here are some pix, you can see the warping and some stress fractures:

Attached Files:

2. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

Contact Robo 3D directly. They should be able to help you. This looks like a manufacturing issue.

3. warlocke

warlocke Active Member

Thanks Melody!

I have emailed them, but with it being the holidays I am sure I will need to wait a few days or so for a response. I was going to try and print another bracket, but with the x-shifting I can't get a completed print. So, pretty much down until I hear back or maybe try to make a bracket/brace to straighten and add support to the warped one.

4. warlocke

warlocke Active Member

The Robo guys did get back to me and said they would ship me out another mounting bracket for the x-stepper.
    Thanks to them for the quick response.

So since I am waiting, I started going over the rest of the printer, just checking things out. For the most part, everything looks ok.
    But I do have one complaint. Not sure what the quality of screws they are using on this, but half of mine have stripped screw heads. Are they putting these things on with a jackhammer? Now the overtightened belt on the x-stepper makes more sense. I think they need to enhance their QC a little more. Stripped screw heads are really unacceptable.
    I am going through and replacing all the stripped screws now and tidying up other things.

5. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

Unfortunately stripped screws are really common on the Robo 3D. It's very frustrating. I've personally ordered hex headed screws from McMaster-Carr to replace many of the ones on the printer. :/

6. warlocke

warlocke Active Member

Stripped screws are a bit of a pet peeve of mine, especially in electronics where no screws require that much torque be applied. Sometimes I can except a stripped screw in something that has many, but seven stripped screws is just shoddy. Every stepper had at least one. Most of them I was able to use an oversize bit to gently back them out, but a couple of them were so bad that I had to slot them with my dremel to remove.

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Mine are loctited in good now. I was not wanting to fiddle with those again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.