1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved X-Axis Stops Working During Print

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by LKM, Apr 17, 2016.

1. LKM

LKM New Member

I have an original Kickstarter Robo3D. It worked well enough for the past years, but since a few days, I have an odd problem. The Robo3D starts out printing fine, but at some point, the X-Axis suddenly stops moving. Prints come out looking like this:

print.jpg
    The first layers are fine, and the printer happily prints for a few hours; but at some point, it only moves in the Y and Z direction.

I also had some odd issues where the printer didn't move the X-Axis all the way to the sides for a while, or ran the printhead into the sides of the printer. What's more, manually moving the printhead sometimes doesn't work, or the printhead takes a long time - a dozen seconds or more - to react to input from MatterControl.

Any ideas for what's going wrong?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I would look at the X stepper electrical side.
    Start with the stepper driver on the RAMPS (they are cheap, I would just replace it).
    If that doesn't sort it then it may be a failing stepper. Is the stepper hot to the touch when it stops?