1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partially Solved X1 Sidewinder PETG Printing degrading

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Dave O'Donnell, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Dave O'Donnell

Dave O'Donnell New Member

So this is a nice printer for the money. Works quite well in general and is not noisy.
    Started with PLA but soon fell in love with some PETG translucence.

Obviously hotter and sticky stuff. Was in fact running 265 and getting great results then it gradually went south.
    Experienced one temperature runaway fault/shut down. But it worked sort of after. Print Quality got worst and worse there after.

Eventual figured out it was under-extruding - worse in quadrants that also pulled on the filament feed. So took it all apart to improve/trouble shoot the extruder. Thought I had done that but on reassembly - no heat. Took it a part again and it appeared the heater cartage has a broken wire and the thermistor was way gone!

It appears to me that the molten PETG is corrosive/aggressive on the thermistor or PT1000 sealant. In any event I could not have been seeing accurate temperatures. So I have ordered new sensor, Ni plated Cu Volcano, Ti heat-break, Silicon socks, and a new heater cartridge.

I am reading that the heater should be 24V, in fact everything on it should be. But the wattage??? Measuring resistance on the old, its closest to 40W cold based on new spec sheets. Any help here appreciated.

Tbe bad
    IMG_3486.jpeg
    The Good
    IMG_3487.jpeg
    The Ugly. Please note broken heater wire and PT1000 gone!
    IMG_3489.jpeg

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I always use a 40w heater core on all of my FDM printers.
    There is no real downside to this.