1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

XXL Controller , Display percent/layer status when plugged into usb?

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by C m, Jan 28, 2016.

1. C m

C m New Member

Hi I got the XXL Controller and works great, but I really wanted to get the percentage and/or layer status on the info screen. It seems that it is there for an SD (it says SD---%) ..but doenst do anything when printing from USB. Does anyone know if this is possible, as I mainly print from usb and would love that for this controller. THANKS!

2. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Sorry, but no. The % display is reading the # of lines completed from the SD card. So, it's not going to do anything from USB. You're really much better off running from the SD card, which is why most people buy this. When you're running from USB, you can have all kinds of interrupts and other issues that can affect your print quality or even kill the print. SD card and XXL is dedicated, so you won't have issues like that.

danzca6 likes this.
  3. James Harry

James Harry Active Member

Another option is to run a Octoprint on a RaspberryPi 2. Allows you to upload files to print, remotely start, stop, jog, etc., even get live video and timelapses, along with knowing the percentage complete and estimate of time left (which is never accurate, but close enough) It hooks up to the printer via USB and doesn't have the same issue that Windows will have. It's a great way to control it without tying up your computer. I can even have my remote bed clearer (son) to remove a print and let me kick off another while I'm not home. Great stuff!