1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

XXL LCD and - Z offset

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by crazyshakespeare, Aug 31, 2016.

1. crazyshakespeare

Wondering if anyone else has come across this issue with their LCD....99% I print from an sd card and noticed today when I went to tweak the z off set I can only modify it in the positive....Even when set neg. within simplify the second i turn the dial in either direction it goes into the positive range rather than starting from my set point....Anyone experiencing this?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Never tried it.
    The issue is that the Robo uses the nozzle for the probe.

This (negative versus positive) definition of offsets was a crap storm of arguing among Marlin devs....
    Just use the startup GCode (M565) and leave it alone elsewhere :)

There is no agreement on what a positive or negative number means* (although I am of the camp that it depends on the probe position).

*among firmware devs, we have a meaning for the Robo that works.

3. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

Yep. That is very odd. I have never played with it I guess. I can only go down to 0.50. But it did show my correct negative Z Offset before I clicked on it. Must be something in the firmware, I'll take a look.

4. crazyshakespeare

Mark, like yourself...i usually set it and leave it. I was trying to save time from starting and stopping since the printer is in a different room from the computer...Oh well...got some exercise i guess lol. Glad to see I'm not the only one that sees it!

5. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Well z offset can be set using gcode or in the firmware. And the crazy thing is if you set it in the firmware it is a positive number and if you set it in the gcode with M565 it is a negative number. I think the LCD is of the mindset of being positive like you are setting it within the firmware as apposed to the gcode. That might explain why. I often wondered why someone would set it in the firmware, but then I met folks lucky enough to have multiple printers. If you set each printers z offset value in the firmware, then you just slice the model once and you can share it with the other printers without any adjustments, given the other printers are the same type. Obviously other settings would differ between types of printers and such. But if I had a room of Robos, then I would set it in the firmware :)

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Until something changes and you have to remember WTH it was for that printer :) and that it is even in the firmware.

7. danzca6

Mark really? That is what yellow post it notes were invented for. HAHAHA!!! Yes...your point is very true man...very true.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Post it notes fall off. Black magic marker directly on the case doesn't ....
    Just sayin'

9. danzca6

LOL!!! Soooo true! Man I hate it when someone turns on the fan at work and blows all my post it notes off of my monitors.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

I honestly don't think the company I work for could do business without post it notes! I have them scattered everywhere!