1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Y- and Z- Limit Switch Issues

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by JBrown270, Jan 13, 2015.

1. JBrown270

JBrown270 New Member

Let me start off by saying that I have an R1 w/ autoleveling and 5/16" rods. When I try homing all the axes, the y-axis limit switch is reported as triggered at any point in its travel. The z-axis, on the other hand, is always reported as open. When z- homes, the extruder will bottom out on the table and the z- motors will continue to run after the limit switches have been triggered. I get the same results with Cura as I do with MatterControl. I tried updating the firmware which didn't help. I have checked the continuity of all the wiring and ensured that all limit switches are functioning. Anyone have an ideas as to what could be causing this issue? Thanks.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

#2 Mike Kelly, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2015
  3. JBrown270

JBrown270 New Member

So, to rule out a broken wire or loose connection, I unplugged the limit switches from the RAMPS board and used my multimeter probe to open and close the circuit between the two RAMPS pins for X, Y, and Z. I then sent the printer a M119 command. X functions as it should; I can make it read "triggered" and "open" by opening and closing the circuit. However, Y always reads "triggered" and Z always reads "open". I'm guessing that my RAMPS board is toast?

4. Robert Choban

Robert Choban Active Member

Can you explain to me in more detail how you used the multimeter to probe to open and close the circuit between the two Ramps pins for X,Y and Z. I'm not really that good with a multimeter, what settings are you using on the Multimeter.

5. JBrown270

JBrown270 New Member

The multimeter doesn't need to be turned on. I just used the multimeter probe to bridge the gap between the two RAMPS pins. A piece of wire works just as well; anything metallic really.

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

X and Y report Open when the circuit is closed. They read triggered when the circuit is open

Z reports Open when the circuit is open. It reads triggered when the circuit is closed.

[​IMG]

Really simple circuit so it's probably not the ramps. If anything is wrong on the ramps it might be a bad solder spot, but I kinda doubt it.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Sometimes (probably rarely) there can be a poor connection between the Ramps and the Arduino board underneath - ie molex pins are not making a good connection.

Separately the boards carefully then pushing them back together a few times may help clean the pins if that is actually the problem.

8. da9l

da9l Member

Hi!

I'm joining this conversation since my printer yesterday suddenly stopped homing on the X-Axis. Printer responds to X- and X+ commands but it wont home X-axis anymore. I'll try to troubleshoot as described above.

Regards, Daniel

9. JBrown270

JBrown270 New Member

My issue was caused by a poor connection between the Arduino and RAMPS at pins 14-21. Everything works fine now.

10. Wolfmannm

Wolfmannm New Member

Just an FYI, I was having the same issue and what fixed mine was adjusting the right hand limit switch. I was not making contact at all. Loosen the screw on the housing and squeeze the switch up to meet the carriage bracket, then test the homing again, if it works, tighten the screw back up and you should be good to go.