1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Y-Axis Grind on 7th Point During Auto-Leveling

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by SpitfireFOOL80, Apr 20, 2016.

1. SpitfireFOOL80

SpitfireFOOL80 New Member

I have attempted to look through the forums as you guys are great for resolving stuff, but no luck on finding a similar problem or fix. When my R1+ is moving the Y-Axis for the 7th point in auto leveling, my machine grinds like it is attempting to continue traveling while the print head then touches down and moves onto point 8/9 and then prints. While it is still working, I don't want a motor or belt to go out because of this constant grind when starting a print job. I checked wires and switches but there is nothing blocking as far as I can see.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Grinding during travel is always something getting in the way and stopping the stepper from going full distance.
    Look under the bed for wire bundles getting in the way of the bed travel.

3. SpitfireFOOL80

Nothing stopping it either direction. Nothing loose or binding. It only appears to grind when the y axis pushs outwards toward you. I notice there is no limit switch other than the one to stop the backwards travel away from you. Is it suppose to have one?

Sent from my SOL26 using Tapatalk

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Each axis has one switch. A home switch (OK, Z has two, but still only HOME).
    There are no 'limit' switches to indicate max travel for any axis. That is controlled by the software (all math) knowing what the MAX X/Y/Z numbers are.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

However, perhaps it is the rails binding. I can't tell from the short video, but do they move smoothly full distance? If the bearings in the rail mounts were to bind that would be the same as hitting a limit on the end.

6. SpitfireFOOL80

Ah ok, I've been looking at those switches all wrong. I followed a guide posted by another active member on setting the x/y/z on Cura and then I also edited octoprint to have the same numbers. Could these number be too large and is cause the print bed (Y axis) to attempt to travel further then it is suppose to during auto leveling?

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It could. The official print area size is 203, 228, 254 (x/y/z) if memory serves :)

SpitfireFOOL80 likes this.
  8. SpitfireFOOL80

I will need to try that. When I get home I'll post an update. Thanks for your help! Hopefully this solves the problem. I know my numbers are definitely higher than those right now.