1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Y axis linear upgrade.

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Electrocutioner, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

Yes, My eye balls ;) When the slide the bed forward I can see the back of the sliders move up, If I lift the from of the bed up I see it go down. But I discovered it after install my 1/4'' glass bed that I know is flat, With my dial indicator I could see that it would be at 0 then number would drop in the middle of the bed then go back up at the end of the bed, if I lifted the front of the bed the number would drop at the end of the bed.

2. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

Heres a video

3. Ahmed Jaber

Ahmed Jaber New Member

Wow, that's a lot more movement than I have to deal with. I think I'm going to try my luck with those flat rails. I'll let you know how it works out, probably in a separate thread so we don't further hijack this one :)

4. nickster

nickster Member

yarrr... make my day. That's pretty bad. Your are at extreme +Y? Checked mine. One of my rails at extreme +Y is not so good. Fairly solid from home to center. Does reversing them help? Are the bottom rails flat?

As a temporary fix, did you try hitting up Robo Support for a set of sliders or where you could buy them locally?

I really want to get the dual fans going next. Printing small parts like drag chain links to go under the bed for cabling get no cooling air on the side of the extruder opposite the fan. Looks like I have to move Y bed project up in the queue. Have 8mm 16" VxB rails for the Y bed upgrade that might have some deflection if you really try to bend them, but nothing like what is going on with the drawer slides. Could add aluminum rails on the sides and under the bed for more support to compensate for glass deflection. Bought 20 8mm linear bearing on eBay. There is some variation in the bearings, but for $0.75 each, I can deal with a little mix and match.

5. nickster

nickster Member

Ahmed. You need two flat rails?

6. Ahmed Jaber

Ahmed Jaber New Member

Just ordered a pair of rails and cars. I'm trying something significantly wider than those stock rails for the added stability.

7. Ahmed Jaber

Ahmed Jaber New Member

What I'd really love to do if I had the time and money is build my own printer out of CNC router parts. I'll call it the "Overkill: I Dare You To Vibrate" printer :)

8. nickster

nickster Member

I hear you. I am new to 3D and trying to understand what strengths it has compared to conventional machining. I keep coming back to it is just a CNC controlled hot melt glue gun. Spending lots of time watching filament get applied. Mechanical position is only part of it. There is a large interaction between layers, deflections, flow rates, cooling and how much the current 0.4mm diameter filament out the nozzle is getting squished. Perfect position is only the start.

9. Ahmed Jaber

Ahmed Jaber New Member

Which is why we all should have bought commercial-grade, $100k 3DSystems printers from the start (though one of those would be a requirement for my project, so that may actually happen in 2014 :) )