1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Y axis moto going crazy ?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by sebrobin, Jun 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sebrobin

sebrobin Member

All,

I upgraded the bed with the new Y axis system. It works fine excepted that on some print, the Y axis motor seems to act crazy and losing its reference.
    At the beginning I thought I had an issue with the new belt and that it was jumping one teeth.
    Now I feel that the motor receives a "crazy signal" for the computer and loses its reference. This lead to crap print.

What do you think. Is it a motor issue or the Arduino ? I haven't yet look at the motor connection to see if there is a short circuit or something that can explain this.

Thanks for your help.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Not quite sure what you mean by "acts crazy"?

But I am guessing by your comment about the Y losing its reference that you might have a problem with the Y endstop. All it takes is for the Y endstop wiring to go open circuit (even intermittently) and the Y axis completely loses its reference. When this happens only option is hit the emergency stop quickly.

You can check the status of the endstops using the gcode M119

http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code#M119:_Get_Endstop_Status

If the Y_min endstop status shows as "TRIGGERED" when it actually is not, then you have a break in the Y endstop wiring somewhere.

3. sebrobin

sebrobin Member

Ok thanks for this answer but it happens in a middle of a print where the endstop should not be triggered.

The problem is that it happens, most of the time, when I'm not in front of the printer (I witnessed it two times). Suddenly the bed is moving rapidly in both directions and then continu to print but with a gap (sometimes 1 or 2 mm sometimes 1cm !)

I will check the status and let you know what I found.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Recheck all of the connections to the RAMPS board and make sure nothing is loose. Something loose could be getting shaken during a print and triggering a false positive on an endstop.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

If you are only seeing a jump of less than 1 cm then it is possible you just have a loose pulley on the Y Axis (or maybe a loose belt). Check the set screws on the Y Axis motor pulley are tight and the belt is tight. It's good practice to check these anyway.

2 people like this.
  6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Ziggy is spot on. Mine came with a *lot* of loose belts and pulleys (all of them actually) but yours could have worked loose.
    I used loctite on the pulley set screws... the belts you have to tighten periodically if they stretch any (once you get them tight).

7. sebrobin

sebrobin Member

I don't think it is due to any loose belt or pulleys. My feeling is a loose cable on the RAMPS. I will check that and let you know.

8. sebrobin

sebrobin Member

photo 2.JPG Capture d’écran 2014-07-16 à 10.36.56.png photo 1.JPG

I've checked all cables and this is what I got today. In pink my print, in orange what it should be.
    Any idea what can cause this ?
    A dead Y axis motor ? The electronic ?

It does not do this all the time but I more often on large print. photo 2.JPG Capture d’écran 2014-07-16 à 10.36.56.png photo 1.JPG

9. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Tighten the set screws and bolts underneath the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in Canada

10. sebrobin

sebrobin Member

I already did that :(

11. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Check for a loose motor underneath the bed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in Canada

12. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

If that set screw is tight then you have one of two thing happenings and the first is more likely
    1 the belt is slipping
    2 the motor is skipping steps

the reasons I think it is a belt slipping is that the direction of slippage seems to be in one direction just gradiating a bit each time a skipping steps issues would show more as random in direction.

if you pluck the belt under the table ( the Y axis belt ) what kind of sound do you get, the reason I ask is that a belt that is too tight will do almost the same thing as one that is too loose.

When plucked like a guitar if the sound you here is actually a sound that has pitch to it the pitch should be very low if it is in any way high it is too tight.
    If the sound is just like a thud noise then it is too loose it needs to be tighten a bit but be careful the difference between a no pitch thud sound and a low pitched musical sound is very small it can easily be tightened too much.

If it is too tight(higher pitched sound) the entire bed becomes too hard to move as quickly as is need to print reliably if it is too loose then the motor turns the right amount but the belt slips

The second thing has to do with the amount of power being sent to the motor it should be very close when the printer arrives but it can be off this is much harder to correct as you will need to use a multimeter on the stepper driver on the ramps board to check things out.
    A quick test that can let you know if too much power is being sent to the motor is to check the temp of the motor itself during the print

All the motors should be only slightly warm while operating if any of them are exceedingly HOT then you have too much power going to them and they can burnout so check them all but be careful in case any of them are too hot they can burn you if it is set wrong.

13. sebrobin

sebrobin Member

Thanks for your feedback. I dont' think the belt is slipping. I have only witnessed the issue twice (the other time, I was not in the garage) and I feel the motor is going crazy.
    I can't tell about the temperature of the motor, I haven't checked.
    Also on other print, the gradiating is much more important and happen only once during the print.

Would change the motor or the electronic ?
    Is there a warranty provided by Robo3d ?

If no, can someone provide me with the exact reference of the motor ?

Thank you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.