1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Y-axis rattle

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by PhilKenSebben, Feb 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhilKenSebben

PhilKenSebben New Member

Gday all,

Currently in the middle of a print and I have noticed that the Y-axis is starting to produce a rattle during 'sudden' changes in direction. I have narrowed it down to somewhere under the heater-panel around the motor area but until the print finishes I wont check into it any further (unless it gets really bad). Anybody else found this, or have any ideas? Belt seems tight and the print itself is still going without any issues.

2. tompeel1

tompeel1 New Member

The nuts holding the bed to the rails were the cause of that for me

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

3. warlocke

warlocke Active Member

Probably loose nuts on the bed standoffs.
    I would recommend flipping the screws over so that the nuts are on top of the bed as they tend to work loose rubbing against the rails. The screw head is more shallow and doesn't rub and is much less prone to working loose.

4. PhilKenSebben

PhilKenSebben New Member

No worries, I had one work itself off the other day but this sounds like it is coming from more under the bed itself. I will however flip the screws over as I have noticed that they are all getting loose over time.

5. warlocke

warlocke Active Member

If it's from under the bed then try tightening the y-stepper screws.
    After finding a couple other loose screws in various places on mine, I went through all of the mounting screws on my printer and tested them for tightness. I found most to be just barely snug and a few more to be quite loose.
    Once I did that, I had no more weird rattles in my unit. just the sounds of whirring steppers and fans. Heh.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Ditto. That I did early on and it prevented a host of other issues. A little Loctite doesn't hurt either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.