1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer Y-axis Shift When Printing

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jack Wallace, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace New Member

Hey all,

I'm currently having the issue with my Robo 3D R1 printer that when I print the calibration cube, the first five or six layers are very sloppy and misaligned, and then the rest of the cube prints perfectly aligned, but about half a millimeter shifted in the positive y-direction from the first few layers. Anyone know a way to fix this issue?

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Is your Y belt loose at all? Might be worth tightening it a bit more if it is.

Is it difficult to slide the carriage by hand? Sometimes there can be a bad bearing that causes it to get stuck. Some light machine oil can help with that if this is the case.

Did the print curl at all? If it curls and the nozzle catches the print it can cause it to skip a little.

Other possibilities are a loose set screw on the Y pulley. This doesn't seem right as it would be wobbling for the entire print, not just at the end. Since it's at the end it might be a stepper driver getting too hot and tripping off for a second. Making sure the cooling fan is running is a good start but lifter feet can help improve circulation underneath

Frankn and Jack Wallace like this.
  3. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace New Member

I got the calibration cube to print normally by moving the z-orientation down 2/10 of a millimeter (because the bottom layer of the cube had the spaghetti-look that happens when the nozzle is slightly too high). I tried printing the calibration circle, but the printer started moving in diagonals instead of tracing the perimeter of the circle, in the upper right-hand corner if you're looking at the printer head-on. I'm attaching some photos of what the circle looks like.

Attached Files:

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

5. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace New Member

Tried printing again, I lowered the z-offset (by 0.2mm) and that helped immensely, but while printing, a small piece of filament stuck up from the surface at one point, and the extruder bumped into it which caused a shift in printing similar to the ones I've been seeing.