1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partially Solved Y Axis Slippage/Stuttering

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Josh Gauthier, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Josh Gauthier

Josh Gauthier New Member

Hello!

I haven't posted in a while since I've been trying to read and solve things, and thanks to this forum a lot of my other issues have been taken care of. However, I am still struggling with this Y-Axis slippage issue.

Today, I thought I was in good shape - I had a print make it a good 20 or 30 mm high before a slight slippage, and then another one, and then a little higher up, I heard a grinding sound and it slipped a lot near the top.

I have checked the motor set screws for the Y-axis motor under the plate, and I can't get them to budge any which way. That was what was suggested to me as a potential issue.

My rubber belt is also as tight as I can possibly have it.

Other threads seemed to indicate that perhaps the controller board is getting too hot? What would be a good solution to that. Here is a link to what my current set up is... (the printer is sitting on the top of a moveable cart. There is a lip around the top level, as well as a grooved rubber mat at the base):
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1W8HHxhuFrrU0N1eHg4OXdxb2s/view?usp=sharing

Thanks again!

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Print riser feet (look on Thingiverse) and verify that the fan on the bottom of the printer is running 100% of the time.

3. Josh Gauthier

Josh Gauthier New Member

So, because my printer is currently less than inept, I built some feet out of Legos. After some battling with the leveling, I had a print successfully running.

I left my office for a moment, when I heard the grind noise and came back to see my print was ruined again on the Y-Axis.

So, clearly the issue is with the Y-Axis motor...

What's next? I have already tried to adjust the set screws on it and I can barely get at them, let alone get them to budge. Maybe a sledgehammer would do? (only half kidding...)

4. Sonny's Robo3D

I had a weird issue when I first got my Robo in which the cable connected to the bed was sticking out under the bed and would bump against the black base that was holding everything. In the middle of the print it basically slowed the y-axis in it's track and forced the belt to slip. Make sure the wires under the bed aren't touching anything during print or that cardboard under the bed isn't falling too much that it hits into something, like the wire for the end stop. Also make sure your blocks that hold the y-axis rods aren't cracked, as that can lead to excess movement of the bed that could cause a slip also.

To remove the set screws you need to remove nuts that are under the carriage (you will have to remove the printer cover under to get to it. ) I doubt that is the issue - has to be some obstruction with the bed itself, or the board is getting too hot - that is more common at least

5. Josh Gauthier

Josh Gauthier New Member