1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Y-Axis Stuttering

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Mark Majdanski, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Mark Majdanski

Mark Majdanski New Member

Hi all, I'm having an issue with my y-axis jamming.

The issue first came up when I printed my 3rd ever print, it was about 10 minutes in and I heard a stuttering sound. I came over to look and and the Y axis was only going in one direction, causing the extruder to spool off and create a jumble of PLA. I tried another print and the y-axis was stuttering again when trying to move backward during the auto leveling, and again just made a jumble of PLA because it was only moving in one direction. Now, when I try to move the y-axis in any direction with the the matter control tools, it stutters and then won't move at all, just kind of being stuck in place.

In addition to the explanation above I also posted a video showing the problem of controlling the y-axis:

A few things to note:
    -This issue still persists even with the print bed removed from the magnets
    -There is nothing obstructing the print bed behind the printer
    -After a few minutes the print bed becomes easily movable again (like at the art of the video)
    -I looked a bit to try and find a similar issue on these forums, and I recall one directing to an issue with the ball bearings. I can't seem to find that one post again though. Could this be the issue?

Thanks in advance!

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi there,
    Unlikely but maybe?

I'd think more along the lines of the stepper drivers. Is this machine new? If so you should get robo tech support on the horn. If its used or out of warranty....are you ok with swapping some wires around to trouble shoot?

edit: I saw you were up quite late so basically if your comformtable if you swap the x and y motor wires on the board (under the printer, mind the fan! The wires are insanely to short) and move the axis does it work normal (remember you've swapped x and y so the controls will be reversed as well ) if yes you need to look at tuning the stepper driver or replacing it (likely it just needs tuned since this is only your 3rd print)

3. Mark Majdanski

Mark Majdanski New Member

Hey Geof, thanks for the response!

I went and set up an appointment with support, so hopefully we'll be able to fix it. I'll post an update regardless.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Good deal, glad to hear Mark. By all means if your up for wiring I'm ready to help, I just dont want you doing anything if your uncomfortable. If something goes wrong during the trouble shooting with robo they will give you free parts :D I cant do that lol