1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Y Homing faulty

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by adepino, Nov 27, 2015.

1. adepino

adepino Member

Ive been printing quite a bit the last couple of days for a end of the semester project. I noticed yesterday that when I would 'Home' each coordinate, sometimes they would stop way short of hitting their end stops. For sure, the bed (Y) would stop halfway into its homing, and end up just in the middle of the printer, rather than all the way back like it should be. This morning when I started my first print, during the auto bed leveling process, each direction ran out of bounds, to where it made the stepper motors jolt (make that crazy noise when you manually run your bed out too far). So I stopped it and did a manual homing of each coordinate and then the bed homed to the center of the printer again, then the second time i clicked home Y, it went where it was supposed to... Whats causing this?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Well, you are going to need to break out a multimeter.
    It could be the switches (less likely) or a bad connection back to the RAMPS.
    Or one or more stepper drivers or the RAMPS itself... the Arduino is a very, very remote possibility.

If it were mine I would give the switches a quick look and then probably swap in a replacement RAMPS and see what happens.
    I would check the switches/endstops and travel just to make sure there is nothing (like a wire/cable) getting in the way.